An 11-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the No. 25 Creighton Bluejays (13-3, 3-1 Big East) when they welcome the Butler Bulldogs (12-5, 2-2 Big East) to CenturyLink Center Omaha. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 158.5 points with Creighton set as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Butler Bulldogs vs. Creighton Bluejays Free Preview
In the Bulldogs last outing, they lost a tough one against the No. 21 Seton Hall Pirates, 90-87. With 27 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Kelan Martin led Butler in scoring. Seton Hall had an effective field goal percentage of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.540). Butler, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 (above their season average of 29.8).
The Bluejays will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the Georgetown Hoyas in their last contest, 90-66. Creighton was lifted by Martin Krampelj, who put up 12 points and 11 rebounds. The Bluejays held the Hoyas to an effective field goal percentage of 0.413 (below their season average of 0.542). The Hoyas also had a turnover percentage of 17.5 (above the 14.0 mark opponents have averaged against Creighton this season).
It could be a tough game for Creighton on the offensive glass. The Bluejays are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 300th in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.9 percent. Meanwhile, Butler ranks 50th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 74.8 percent. Ball protection should be an advantage for the Bulldogs. They rank 37th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while the Bluejays force the 17th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 15.8 percent).
Games involving these teams have typically gone over the O/U total. Butler games have gone over 68.8 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Creighton games have finished over. The Bluejays come into this game with a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-3 SU and 9-6 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 12-5 SU and 8-8 ATS.
Kamar Baldwin has been solid over the last five games for Butler, averaging 19.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Bluejays won both meetings last season. In the most recent contest, Creighton won 76-67. Creighton had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.683 vs. 0.462). Butler, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.2 vs. 8.3).
Butler Bulldogs vs. Creighton Bluejays Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Creighton, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 32nd in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Bluejays rank 90th (6.4).
- Creighton is 6-3 ATS at home, while Butler is 1-6 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Bluejays 9 home games, while 4 of the Bulldogs 7 road games have gone under.
- Creighton ranks 30th in rebounds per game (40.1) while Butler ranks 143rd (35.5).
- The Bluejays rank 17th in three pointers attempted per game (28.2) while the Bulldogs rank 126th (22.2).
- Creighton ranks third in assists per game (19.9) while Butler ranks 112th (14.4).
- Creighton is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Butler is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Bluejays average margin of victory in their last five games has been 19.6, up from 18.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 93.0 points per game (12.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (9.3 above their season average).