Big East foes will collide when the Providence Friars (12-6, 3-2 Big East) go head-to-head against the Butler Bulldogs (13-6, 3-3 Big East) at Dunkin Donuts Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147 points with Providence set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Butler Bulldogs at Providence Friars Betting Preview
The Bulldogs beat the Marquette Golden Eagles in their last outing, 94-83. Kelan Martin was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 12-for-17 shooting. The Bulldogs had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 4.1 (better than their season average of 14.3) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.641 (above their season average of 0.537).
In the Friars last matchup, they defeated the DePaul Blue Demons, 71-64. Providence rallied around Isaiah Jackson, who put up 15 points. Providence played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.282) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.530). For those same stats, DePaul put up marks of 0.104 and 0.425, respectively.
It could be a difficult game for Providence on the offensive glass. The Friars are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 192nd in offensive rebounding percentage at 29.0 percent. Meanwhile, Butler ranks 46th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.1 percent.
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Games involving Butler have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of Providence games have finished over. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (13-6 for Butler; 12-6 for Providence), but the Bulldogs have the edge against the spread (ATS). Butler is 9-9 ATS, while the Friars are 5-11.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Bulldogs, it’s been Kamar Baldwin, who has averaged 21.4 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Friars have gotten solid contributions from Alpha Diallo (10.6 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Friars won the last matchup 71-65. The Friars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.308 and a turnover percentage of 12.5. For those same stats, the Bulldogs were 0.250 and 14.8, respectively.
Butler Bulldogs vs. Providence Friars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs average 21.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 151st in the nation. The Friars rank 158th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- Providence ranks 89th in assists per game (14.8) while Butler ranks 92nd in assists allowed per game (12.8).
- Providence is 2-6 ATS at home, while Butler is 1-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Friars 8 home games, while 5 of the Bulldogs 8 road games have gone under.
- Butler ranks 40th in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while Providence ranks 170th (36.2).
- The Bulldogs rank 29th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Friars rank 112th (6.5).
- Providence averages 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 66th in the NCAA. Butler ranks 89th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Providence is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Butler is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Friars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 87.0 points per game (6.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 87.4 points per game (14.6 above their season average).