Expect a high-scoring game when the Butler Bulldogs (15-7, 5-4 Big East) and the Marquette Golden Eagles (13-8, 4-5 Big East) battle at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Marquette opened as a 3-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 155 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Butler Bulldogs at Marquette Golden Eagles Free Preview
The Bulldogs won big over the St. John’s Red Storm in their last contest, 70-45. With 12 points, seven rebounds and five assists, Kamar Baldwin had a solid outing for Butler. Butler played a flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.255 (above their season average of 0.203) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.509 (below their season average of 0.538). For those same stats, St. John’s was 0.145 and 0.336, respectively.
The last time the Golden Eagles played, they were blown out by the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats, 85-82. Andrew Rowsey led Marquette in scoring with 29 points on 8-for-16 shooting. Villanova did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (19-24; 79.2 percent). Marquette, on the other hand, held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.550 (below their season average of 0.606).
The prolific offense of Marquette (17th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 116.9) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Butler (134th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 101.0). The Golden Eagles figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Butler’s 21 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the O/U total, while 10 of Marquette’s 19 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Bulldogs are 15-7 SU and 11-10 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 13-8 SU and 10-9-1 ATS.
Baldwin has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Butler, averaging 18.2 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 177 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 157. The Bulldogs won 94-83, covering as 5-point favorites. The Bulldogs turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Golden Eagles. Butler had a rate of 4.1, while Marquette posted a mark of 13.1. Kelan Martin was the games top overall scorer with 37 points.
Butler Bulldogs vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Betting Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs are 23rd in the nation with 5.0 steals allowed per game while the Golden Eagles are 52nd with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- Marquette ranks 71st in blocks per game (4.0) while Butler ranks 95th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Butler is 2-8 ATS on the road, while Marquette is 5-6-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 7 of the Golden Eagles 12 home games, while 7 of the Bulldogs 10 road games have gone under.
- Marquette ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (28.1) while Butler ranks 134th (22.2).
- The Bulldogs rank 169th in rebounds per game (35.3) while the Golden Eagles rank 257th (32.5).
- Marquette ranks 40th in assists per game (16.2) while Butler ranks 119th (14.2).
- Marquette is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Butler is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 5.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average).