The Western Michigan Broncos (11-7, 3-2 MAC) look to put an end to the six-game winning streak of Buffalo when they welcome the Bulls (13-5, 5-0 MAC) to University Arena in Read Fieldhouse. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 155.5 points with Buffalo opening as a 4-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Buffalo Bulls at Western Michigan Broncos Free Preview
The Bulls won big over the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last outing, 95-67. Nick Perkins was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Buffalo dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 14.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.524). For those same stats, Northern Illinois recorded marks of 22.7 and 0.480, respectively.
The last time the Broncos played, they were blown out by the Kent State Golden Flashes, 73-71. Josh Davis led Western Michigan in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Kent State held the Broncos to an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 (below their season average of 31.8). Western Michigan, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.286 (above their season average of 0.238).
Buffalo should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Bulls currently rank 69th in offensive efficiency, while Western Michigan ranks 171st in defensive efficiency.
Of Buffalo’s 15 games with betting action, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Western Michigan’s 15 games have finished under the O/U total. The Bulls come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-5 SU and 9-5-1 ATS, while the Broncos are 11-7 SU and 7-8 ATS.
Perkins has been exceptional over the last five games for Buffalo, averaging 17.0 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Bulls won the only contest played against each other last season, 66-54. The Bulls played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.446 and a superb free throw rate of 0.286. For those same stats, the Broncos were 0.339 and 0.237, respectively.
Buffalo Bulls at Western Michigan Broncos ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Buffalo, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Broncos rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Bulls rank 131st (4.1).
- Western Michigan ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Buffalo ranks 67th (5.8).
- Western Michigan is 2-3 ATS at home, while Buffalo is 6-3 ATS on the road.
- In 9 road games, the Bulls have 5 overs and 4 unders.
- The Broncos have 3 unders and 2 overs in 5 home games.
- Buffalo ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (17.7) while Western Michigan ranks 261st (25.8).
- The Bulls rank 33rd in assists per game (16.7) while the Broncos rank 170th (13.0).
- Western Michigan averages 36.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 103rd in the NCAA. Buffalo ranks 222nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.8).
- Western Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Buffalo is 4-0-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Broncos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 90.2 points per game (6.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (5.2 below their season average).