The Miami Heat (18-16) will be at home in AmericanAirlines Arena when they square off against the Brooklyn Nets (12-22). Miami opened as a 7-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 206 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat Odds Preview
The Nets lost to the New Orleans Pelicans in their last matchup, 128-113. Brooklyn’s Caris LeVert had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting. New Orleans had a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 14.4). Brooklyn, on the other hand, held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.4 (below their season average of 20.5).
In the Heat’s last matchup, they blew out the Orlando Magic, 107-89. Miami received a boost from Kelly Olynyk, who recorded 15 points and 12 rebounds. Miami played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 18.8) and a turnover percentage of 13.2 (better than their season average of 14.3). Orlando was 21.3 and 15.8, respectively, for those same stats.
Miami figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Heat rank eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.510), while Brooklyn is 22nd in effective field goal percentage (0.510). It will also be a battle of opposite styles as the up-and-down Nets rank fourth in possessions per game, while the more methodical Heat rank 27th.
Of Brooklyn’s 34 games, 18 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Miami’s 34 games have finished under the projected point total. The Heat hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (18-16 vs. 12-22), but the Nets have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (19-15 vs. 14-18-2).
The Nets Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (15.0 points, 8.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists) and LeVert (15.2 points, 3.4 assists and 1.2 steals) have been playing well over their last five games. Meanwhile, the Heat have received solid contributions from Josh Richardson (21.8 points, 3.6 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks) and Tyler Johnson (12.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 190 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 212.5. The Heat won 101-89, covering as 2.5-point favorites. The Heat dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 4.9 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.511. For those same stats, the Nets had marks of 11.8 and 0.451, respectively. Despite the loss, Hollis-Jefferson had a standout performance with 18 points and eight rebounds.
Brooklyn Nets at Miami Heat Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Nets rank 13th in points in the paint per game (43.9) while the Heat rank 27th (39.9).
- Miami ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while Brooklyn ranks 12th (21.9).
- Brooklyn ranks 14th in fast break points per game (10.9) while Miami ranks 27th (7.4).
- Brooklyn is 11-8 ATS on the road with 11 unders and 8 overs.
- Miami is 4-10-2 ATS at home with 9 unders, 6 overs and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Brooklyn is 7-0 and Miami is 13-3.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Nets are 10-16 and the Heat are 13-6.
- The Heat rank 20th in steals per game (7.4) while the Nets rank 29th (6.5).
- Miami ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (42.1) while Brooklyn ranks 28th (45.8).
- The Heat rank eighth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while the Nets rank 27th (5.5).
- The Nets take the second-most three pointers per game (34.5) while the Heat rank fifth (31.6).
- Brooklyn ranks 14th in second chance points per game (12.3) while Miami ranks 29th (9.5).
- Miami is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Heat have outscored opponents by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Miami has been defeated by an average of 1.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 109.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average).