The Detroit Pistons, 5-point favorites, welcome the Brooklyn Nets to Little Caesars Arena to commence the new season. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 212 points and it gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 17, 2018.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Detroit Pistons Betting Odds
Neither team made the playoffs last season. Detroit went 39-43 in the regular season while Brooklyn finished 28-54.
Brooklyn could have a tough time creating turnovers. Last season, Detroit ranked seventh in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.0 percent), while Brooklyn forced the fewest turnovers (11.8 percent). It will also be a battle of contrasting styles as the up-tempo Nets ranked fifth in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Pistons ranked 21st.
Last season, the Nets were 28-54 straight up (SU) and 40-40-2 against the spread (ATS). Of Brooklyn’s 82 games that accepted bets last season, 41 finished over the projected point total.
The Pistons, on the other hand, were 39-43 SU and 38-44 ATS last season. Contrary to Brooklyn, games involving Detroit had a tendency to go under the O/U total (56.1 percent).
The Pistons took this series last year, winning three out of four games. In the most recent matchup, Detroit won 108-96. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Detroit’s biggest strengths. They made 32 trips to the line, while Brooklyn went just 15 times.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Detroit Pistons Odds Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2017-Present):
- The Pistons rank first in fast break points allowed per game (9.8) while the Nets rank 14th (11.6).
- Brooklyn ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (24.5) while Detroit ranks 27th (30.8).
- The Pistons rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (43.6) while the Nets rank 25th (47.4).
- Detroit ranks 14th in steals per game (7.7) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (6.2).
- Detroit averages 43.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. Brooklyn ranks last in rebounds allowed per game (46.8).
- The Nets rank fifth in assists allowed per game (21.7) while the Pistons rank 28th (25.2).
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while the Nets rank 20th (17.3).
- Brooklyn ranks 16th in blocks per game (4.8) while Detroit ranks 27th (3.9).
- Detroit ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.2) while Brooklyn ranks 26th (13.5).
- Detroit is 22-6 when they allow less than 100 points, while Brooklyn is 13-1.
- The Pistons are 35-19 when they reach 100 points, while the Nets are 24-35.