The Boston Celtics (54-27) and Brooklyn Nets (28-53) will battle at TD Garden to get their Eastern Conference schedules started. Boston is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 207 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 11, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets at Boston Celtics Betting Preview
The Nets beat the Chicago Bulls in their last game, 114-105. Allen Crabbe was the top scorer from either team with 41 points on 12-for-15 shooting. Brooklyn dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.171 (below their season average of 0.202) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.610 (above their season average of 0.513). Chicago put up marks of 0.079 and 0.551, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Celtics played, they were beaten by the Washington Wizards, 113-101. With 10 points and 14 rebounds, Boston’s Al Horford played well. Washington made 15 of their 30 three pointers (50.0 percent). Boston, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (22-27; 81.5 percent).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Boston should have a substantial edge. The Celtics defense ranks second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.495), while the Brooklyn offense is ranked 17th in effective field goal percentage (0.515). Conflicting paces will be on display in this meeting. The fast-paced Nets rank fifth in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Celtics rank 23rd.
Of Brooklyn’s 81 games, 43 have finished under the projected point total, while 40 of Boston’s 80 games have finished over the projected point total. The Celtics have the better straight up (SU) record (54-27 vs. 28-53), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Boston is 47-29-4, while Brooklyn is 46-34-1 ATS.
Greg Monroe has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 13.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Celtics winning all three. In the most recent matchup, Kyrie Irving scored a game-high 21 points and the Celtics topped the Nets 87-85 but were not able to cover as 2.5-point favorites. He also had six rebounds. The two teams combined for 172 points, which was 35.5 points below the projected point total of 207.5 points. The Celtics’ turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Nets. Boston had a rate of 3.7, while Brooklyn posted a mark of 13.7.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Boston Celtics Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Nets rank 19th in points in the paint per game (43.8) while the Celtics rank 29th (39.5).
- Boston ranks 22nd in steals per game (7.4) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (6.2).
- Boston ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while Brooklyn ranks 15th (11.6).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (21.2) while Brooklyn ranks seventh (21.7).
- On the road, Brooklyn is 28-14 ATS with 21 overs and 21 unders.
- Boston is 19-17-4 ATS at home with 22 overs and 18 unders.
- Boston is 35-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Brooklyn is 13-1.
- The Nets are 24-35 when they score more than 100 points, while the Celtics are 41-13.
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (35.6) while the Celtics rank 10th (30.5).
- Boston ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.1) while Brooklyn ranks 27th (13.3).
- The Celtics rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.4) while the Nets rank 25th (5.5).
- The Celtics rank 23rd in points off turnovers per game (15.2) while the Nets rank 28th (14.2).
- Boston averages 44.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Brooklyn ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (46.6).
- Boston is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics have been outscored by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 3.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.2 points per game (2.1 below their season average).