The Oklahoma City Thunder (26-20) will be at home in Chesapeake Energy Arena when they take on the Brooklyn Nets (18-29). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 213.5 points with Oklahoma City opening as a 10-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Preview
In the Nets last contest, they edged the Detroit Pistons, 101-100. With 21 points, eight rebounds and seven assists, Brooklyn’s Rondae Hollis-Jefferson played well. Brooklyn dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 (above their season average of 0.504) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.3 (below their season average of 22.0). Detroit was 0.472 and 15.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Thunder come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last contest, 148-124. Oklahoma City was lifted by Russell Westbrook, who contributed 23 points, 20 assists and nine rebounds. Oklahoma City played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 (above their season average of 27.8) and a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 12.6). Cleveland was 7.7 and 12.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The ineffective offense of Brooklyn (26th in the league with an offensive efficiency of 103.6) will face off against the elite defense of Oklahoma City (fifth in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 103.7). The Thunder figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Brooklyn games have finished under 55.3 percent of the time, while Oklahoma City games have finished under 58.7 percent of the time. The Thunder hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (26-20 vs. 18-29), but the Nets have the better against the spread (ATS) record (29-17-1 vs. 18-27-1).
DeMarre Carroll has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Brooklyn, averaging 17.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 195 points, well under the projected point total of 216. The Nets won 100-95, covering as 7-point underdogs. One of Brooklyn’s biggest strengths was getting to the charity stripe. They made 30 trips to the line, while Oklahoma City went 23 times. Caris LeVert put up a double-double in the victory with 21 points and 10 assists.
Brooklyn Nets at Oklahoma City Thunder Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Nets rank first in three pointers allowed per game (25.5) while the Thunder rank 22nd (30.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.1) while Brooklyn ranks 17th (10.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.4) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (5.7).
- On the road, Brooklyn is 16-8 ATS with 13 unders and 11 overs.
- Oklahoma City is 9-13-1 ATS at home with 14 unders and 9 overs.
- Oklahoma City is 17-5 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Brooklyn is 11-1.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Nets are 14-20 and the Thunder are 22-9.
- The Thunder rank second in second chance points per game (14.7) while the Nets rank 17th (12.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.4) while Brooklyn ranks last (6.3).
- The Thunder rank second in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while the Nets rank 29th (45.9).
- The Nets rank 16th in assists per game (22.3) while the Thunder rank 25th (21.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Brooklyn ranks 27th (14.7).
- Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 102.8 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (2.0 below their season average).