Atlantic Division foes will clash when the New York Knicks (22-28) square off with the Brooklyn Nets (18-32) at Madison Square Garden. New York opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 216 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets at New York Knicks Odds Preview
The last time the Nets played, they were beaten by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 111-97. Jahlil Okafor put together a solid performance for Brooklyn, leading the team in scoring with 21 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Minnesota had a turnover percentage of 5.3 (better than their season average of 11.0). Brooklyn, on the other hand, held the Timberwolves to an effective field goal percentage of 0.463 (below their season average of 0.523).
The Knicks come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Phoenix Suns in their last contest, 107-85. With 20 points on 8-for-10 shooting, Enes Kanter was New York’s high scorer. New York played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.188 (above their season average of 0.186) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.535 (above their season average of 0.518). For those same stats, Phoenix had marks of 0.085 and 0.410, respectively.
It will be a matchup of conflicting paces as the up-tempo Nets will look to push the more half-court-oriented Knicks. The Nets rank fifth in possessions per game while the Knicks are 16th.
Of Brooklyn’s 50 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of New York’s 50 games have finished over the projected point total. The Knicks have the better straight up (SU) record (22-28 vs. 18-32), but the Nets hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (30-19-1 vs. 26-24).
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Knicks winning all three. In the most recent matchup, the Nets lost 119-104, unable to cover as 4-point favorites. DeMarre Carroll put up 22 points and eight rebounds. The two teams combined to score 223 points, which was 12 points above the projected point total of 211 points. New York’s effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Brooklyn. The Knicks had a rate of 0.567 while the Nets posted a mark of 0.431.
Brooklyn Nets at New York Knicks Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while the Nets rank 16th (44.7).
- New York ranks 22nd in points off turnovers per game (15.5) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (14.1).
- New York ranks fifth in second chance points per game (13.6) while Brooklyn ranks 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.7).
- Brooklyn averages 22.3 assists per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. New York ranks 18th in assists allowed per game (23.1).
- Brooklyn is 17-10 ATS on the road, while New York is 15-9 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 15 of the Nets 27 road games, while 12 of the Knicks 24 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, New York is 10-1 and Brooklyn is 11-1.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Knicks are 21-16 and the Nets are 14-21.
- The Nets rank 16th in fast break points per game (10.2) while the Knicks rank 26th (7.4).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.0) while New York ranks 29th (21.7).
- The Knicks average 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Nets rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- The Knicks rank 26th in steals per game (6.8) while the Nets rank last (6.1).
- New York ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.6) while Brooklyn ranks 28th (46.0).
- New York is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 1.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 99.6 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average).