The Detroit Pistons (22-22) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they meet the Brooklyn Nets (17-29). Detroit is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 207.5 points. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Detroit Pistons ATS Preview
In the Nets last game, they defeated the Miami Heat, 101-95. DeMarre Carroll was the games high scorer with 26 points on 9-for-12 shooting. The Nets knocked down 20 of their 26 free throws (76.9 percent) and held the Heat to an effective field goal percentage of 0.458 (below their season average of 0.525).
The Pistons are trying to rebound after their 122-112 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last game. With 14 points, 21 rebounds and eight assists, Andre Drummond had a solid game for Detroit. Washington’s 12.2 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Detroit, who had a mark of 13.3. The Wizards mark was better than their season average of 12.4.
Brooklyn could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Detroit ranks ninth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.7 percent), while Brooklyn forces the fewest turnovers (12.3 percent). It will also be a tale of two tempos as the up-tempo Nets rank third in possessions per game, while the more methodical Pistons rank 23rd.
Of Brooklyn’s 46 games, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 25 of Detroit’s 44 games have finished under the O/U total. The Pistons have the better straight up (SU) record (22-22 vs. 17-29), but the Nets hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (28-17-1 vs. 24-18-2).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Nets, it’s been Carroll, who has averaged 13.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Pistons have received solid contributions from Drummond (17.4 points, 15.2 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 2.6 steals and 1.4 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 194 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 205.5. The Pistons won 114-80, covering as 2-point favorites. The Pistons played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 and a turnover percentage of 11.7. The Nets were 4.4 and 17.4, respectively, for those same stats. Drummond put up a double-double in the victory with 22 points and 20 rebounds.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Detroit Pistons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Nets rank fourth in rebounds per game (45.6) while the Pistons rank 20th (41.9).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.5) while Brooklyn ranks 11th (10.8).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.1) while Detroit ranks 17th (28.3).
- Detroit ranks 17th in points in the paint per game (43.0) while Brooklyn ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.3).
- Brooklyn is 15-8 ATS on the road, while Detroit is 10-9-1 ATS at home.
- The Nets have 12 unders and 11 overs in 23 road games.
- The Pistons have 10 overs and 10 unders in 20 home games.
- Detroit is 12-5 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Brooklyn is 11-1.
- The Pistons are 19-9 when they reach 100 points, while the Nets are 13-20.
- The Pistons rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while the Nets rank 17th (12.6).
- Brooklyn ranks eighth in assists allowed per game (21.4) while Detroit ranks 26th (24.4).
- The Pistons rank 13th in steals per game (7.9) while the Nets rank last (6.4).
- The Nets rank 23rd in blocks per game (4.1) while the Pistons rank 28th (3.5).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.8) while Brooklyn ranks 21st (17.5).
- Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 104.6 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.6 points per game (1.2 below their season average).