Atlantic Division foes will battle when the Boston Celtics (29-10) go head-to-head against the Brooklyn Nets (13-22) at TD Garden. Boston opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 210 points. Action begins at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Boston Celtics Odds Preview
In the Nets last contest, they easily got past the Miami Heat, 111-87. With 12 points, 11 assists and five rebounds, Brooklyn’s Caris LeVert had a good performance. The Nets, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.510, had a great mark of 0.563 and had a free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.210).
The Celtics hope to keep it rolling after edging the Houston Rockets in their last outing, 99-98. With 26 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Kyrie Irving was Boston’s high scorer. The Celtics held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 22.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.463 (below their season average of 0.563).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Boston figures to have a substantial advantage. The Celtics defense ranks second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.491), while the Brooklyn offense is ranked 20th in effective field goal percentage (0.511). It will also be a battle of conflicting tempos as the up-and-down Nets rank fourth in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Celtics rank 23rd.
Of Brooklyn’s 35 games, 19 have finished under the projected point total, while 20 of Boston’s 39 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics have the superior straight up (SU) record (29-10 vs. 13-22) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (24-13-2 vs. 20-15).
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has been playing at a high level recently for Brooklyn, averaging 16.2 points, 8.4 rebounds and 3.8 assists over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 211 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 209. The Celtics won 109-102, covering as 6.5-point favorites. The Celtics dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.256 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.9. For those same stats, the Nets were 0.114 and 18.4, respectively. Al Horford put up a double-double in the victory with 17 points and 11 rebounds.
Brooklyn Nets at Boston Celtics Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank 17th in steals per game (7.5) while the Nets rank 28th (6.6).
- Boston ranks third in assists allowed per game (20.1) while Brooklyn ranks 10th (21.7).
- Boston ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while Brooklyn ranks 13th (12.0).
- Brooklyn ranks 24th in points off turnovers per game (15.4) while Boston ranks 29th (14.3).
- Brooklyn is 12-8 ATS on the road with 12 unders and 8 overs.
- Boston is 11-7-2 ATS at home with 11 overs and 9 unders.
- Brooklyn is 8-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 21-1.
- When reaching the century mark, the Nets are 11-16 and the Celtics are 21-4.
- The Celtics rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.4) while the Nets rank 13th (10.9).
- Boston ranks third in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while Brooklyn ranks 26th (5.4).
- The Celtics rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.3) while the Nets rank 23rd (45.9).
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (34.3) while the Celtics rank seventh (31.1).
- Brooklyn averages 45.5 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Boston ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (43.7).
- Boston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 5.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.2 points per game (3.8 below their season average).