The Atlanta Hawks (11-30) will be at home in Philips Arena when they meet the Brooklyn Nets (15-26). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 211 points with Atlanta set as a 3-point favorite. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Atlanta Hawks Free Preview
The Nets were blown out by the Detroit Pistons in their last matchup, 114-80. Brooklyn’s Rondae Hollis-Jefferson had 15 points and seven rebounds in the game. Detroit held the Nets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 4.4 (below their season average of 22.5). Brooklyn, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (14-15; 93.3 percent).
In the Hawks last matchup, they topped the Denver Nuggets, 110-97. With 19 points on 6-for-15 shooting, Dennis Schroder led Atlanta in scoring. The Hawks made 18 of their 18 free throws (100.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.575 (above their season average of 0.515).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Brooklyn offense. Brooklyn ranks 21st in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Atlanta forces the most turnovers in the NBA (16.0 percent).
Of Brooklyn’s 41 games, 23 have finished under the projected point total, while 20 of Atlanta’s 41 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Nets have a sizable advantage. They are 15-26 SU and 25-16 ATS, while the Hawks are 11-30 SU and 22-17-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Nets winning two. In the most recent contest, the Hawks lost 110-90, unable to cover as 1-point favorites. Schroder scored a game-high 19 points and also had five rebounds. The two teams combined for 200 points, which was 21.5 points below the projected point total of 221.5 points. The Nets’ 29.3 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Hawks, who had a mark of 18.4.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Atlanta Hawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Hawks rank seventh in steals per game (8.5) while the Nets rank 29th (6.5).
- Brooklyn ranks 14th in points in the paint per game (43.8) while Atlanta ranks 26th (41.1).
- Brooklyn ranks fourth in rebounds per game (45.7) while Atlanta ranks 26th (40.5).
- Brooklyn ranks 16th in fast break points per game (10.3) while Atlanta ranks 20th in fast break points allowed per game (12.1).
- Atlanta is 10-8 ATS at home, while Brooklyn is 13-8 ATS on the road.
- The Nets have 12 unders and 9 overs in 21 road games.
- The Hawks have 10 overs, 7 unders and 1 push in 18 home games.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Brooklyn is 10-1 and Atlanta is 4-3.
- The Nets are 11-18 when they score more than 100 points, while the Hawks are 11-17.
- The Nets rank 14th in second chance points per game (12.2) while the Hawks rank 27th in second chance points allowed per game (14.0).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.0) while Atlanta ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (31.0).
- The Hawks rank second in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while the Nets rank 25th (14.7).
- The Hawks average 4.2 blocks per game, which ranks 21st in the league. The Nets rank 28th in blocks allowed per game (5.8).
- Brooklyn ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (21.0) while Atlanta ranks 29th (25.5).
- Atlanta is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 94.8 points per game (11.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (7.5 below their season average).