MVC foes will collide when the Illinois State Redbirds (9-9, 3-3 MVC) go head-to-head against the Bradley Braves (13-6, 3-3 MVC) at Redbird Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 135.5 points with Illinois State opening as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018.
Bradley Braves at Illinois State Redbirds Betting Preview
The Braves lost to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers in their last matchup, 81-65. Bradley’s Nate Kennell put up 13 points and five assists in the game. Loyola Chicago did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (16-21; 76.2 percent). Bradley, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.6 vs. 15.2).
In the Redbirds last matchup, they were topped by the Southern Illinois Salukis, 74-70. Phil Fayne was Illinois State’s high scorer with 24 points on 11-for-12 shooting. Southern Illinois did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-24; 70.8 percent). Illinois State, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.657 (above their season average of 0.508).
Illinois State might have a difficult time putting up points as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Bradley ranks 30th in defensive efficiency while the Redbirds rank 252nd in offensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Bradley games have finished under 76.5 percent of the time, while 73.3 percent of games featuring Illinois State have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Braves have a substantial advantage. They are 13-6 SU and 9-6-2 ATS, while the Redbirds are 9-9 SU and 7-8 ATS.
Donte Thomas has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Bradley, averaging 13.8 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Redbirds won both games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Illinois State won 64-50. The Redbirds dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.429 and a turnover percentage of 21.8. For those same stats, the Braves put up marks of 0.196 and 25.6, respectively.
Bradley Braves vs. Illinois State Redbirds Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Bradley, ATS Winner – Bradley, O/U – Under
- The Braves average 13.9 assists per game, which ranks 129th in the NCAA. The Redbirds rank 185th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- Illinois State averages 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 66th in the NCAA. Bradley ranks 108th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Bradley is 3-6 ATS on the road, while Illinois State is 2-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Braves 9 road games, while 3 of the Redbirds 6 home games have gone over.
- Illinois State ranks 25th in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while Bradley ranks 236th (18.2).
- The Braves rank 74th in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while the Redbirds rank 259th (39.4).
- Bradley ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Illinois State ranks 74th (3.3).
- Illinois State is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Bradley is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Redbirds average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 65.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (4.2 above their season average).