MAC foes will battle when the Akron Zips (7-8, 0-3 MAC) challenge the Bowling Green Falcons (11-5, 2-1 MAC) at James A. Rhodes Arena. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Bowling Green Falcons vs. Akron Zips ATS Preview
In the Falcons last outing, they beat the Northern Illinois Huskies, 66-57. Demajeo Wiggins led Bowling Green in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Bowling Green dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (above their season average of 28.8) and a free throw rate of 0.276 (below their season average of 0.280). Northern Illinois was 11.1 and 0.175, respectively, for those same stats.
The Zips are hoping for a better outcome after their 87-65 loss to the Buffalo Bulls in their last matchup. Virshon Cotton was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 5-for-10 shooting. Buffalo had a much better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 19.7). Akron, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (29-41; 70.7 percent).
It could be a difficult game for Akron on the offensive glass. The Zips rank 205th in offensive rebounding percentage (28.5 percent), while Bowling Green ranks 69th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.1 percent). Furthermore, the Falcons rank 50th in turnover percentage (16.8 percent), while the Zips rank 269th in opponents turnover percentage (17.9 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Falcons, it’s been Wiggins, who has averaged 11.8 points and 9.2 rebounds, while the Zips have gotten solid contributions from Jimond Ivey (16.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Falcons won 66-65. The Falcons played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.459. The Zips put up marks of 17.0 and 0.430, respectively, for those same stats.
Bowling Green Falcons vs. Akron Zips Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Bowling Green, ATS Winner – Bowling Green, O/U – Under
- Bowling Green ranks 37th in rebounds per game (39.7) while Akron ranks 179th (34.9).
- The Zips average 25.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 47th in the NCAA. The Falcons rank 163rd in three pointers allowed per game (22.9).
- Akron averages 13.8 assists per game, which ranks 123rd in the nation. Bowling Green ranks 179th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- The Zips average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.4, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Falcons have scored an average of 78.2 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.8 points per game (10.4 below their season average).