The NIT matchup between the Boston College Eagles (19-15) and the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (24-10) will take place at E.A. Diddle Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 161.5 points with Western Kentucky opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Boston College Eagles vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Odds Preview
In the Eagles’ last contest, they fell to the No. 19 Clemson Tigers, 90-82. Ky Bowman had a good game for Boston College, leading the team in scoring with 23 points on 6-for-16 shooting. Clemson had a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 16.0). Boston College, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (22-30; 73.3 percent).
The Hilltoppers are trying to rebound after their 67-66 loss to the Marshall Thundering Herd in their last matchup. Justin Johnson led Western Kentucky in scoring with 21 points on 5-for-17 shooting. Marshall had a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 15.7). Western Kentucky, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (17-21; 81.0 percent).
A focal point for the Western Kentucky offense is getting to the free throw line. The Hilltoppers rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.289), but Boston College is among the best in the nation at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 57th by yielding a FTA rate of 0.202).
Of Boston College’s 28 games that accepted bets, 18 have finished over the O/U total, while 16 of Western Kentucky’s 32 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Hilltoppers have a substantial advantage. They are 24-10 SU and 20-12 ATS, while the Eagles are 19-15 SU and 15-12-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Ky Bowman, who has averaged 22.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.0 steals, while the Hilltoppers have received great contributions from Justin Johnson (17.8 points and 10.4 rebounds).
Boston College Eagles vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Western Kentucky, ATS Winner – Boston College, O/U – Under
- The Hilltoppers rank 130th in rebounds per game (35.8) while the Eagles rank 154th in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- Boston College ranks 81st in three pointers attempted per game (23.9) while Western Kentucky ranks 296th (15.3).
- The Hilltoppers rank 48th in steals per game (7.3) while the Eagles rank 221st (5.0).
- Boston College averages 14.3 assists per game, which ranks 110th in the NCAA. Western Kentucky ranks 171st in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- The Hilltoppers have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Western Kentucky has defeated opponents by an average of 8.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 84.2 points per game (7.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.8 points per game (7.4 above their season average).