The Pittsburgh Panthers (8-18, 0-13 ACC), who are currently on a 13-game skid, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Boston College Eagles (15-10, 5-7 ACC) to Petersen Events Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 139 points with Boston College opening as a 5.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Boston College Eagles vs. Pittsburgh Panthers Free Preview
In the Eagles last outing, they won a close one over the No. 25 Miami (FL) Hurricanes, 72-70. With 24 points, 12 rebounds and six assists, Ky Bowman had a good performance for Boston College. The Eagles knocked down 15 of their 19 free throws (78.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.570 (above their season average of 0.526).
The Panthers are trying to rebound after their 94-60 loss to the Louisville Cardinals in their last matchup. Shamiel Stevenson was the top scorer from either team with 15 points on 5-for-8 shooting. Louisville had an effective field goal percentage of 0.722 (above their season average of 0.519). Pittsburgh, meanwhile, held the Cardinals to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.4 (below their season average of 29.4).
Pittsburgh may have difficulty getting to the foul line in this battle. The Panthers currently rank 186th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.237, while Boston College ranks 43rd in FTA rate allowed (0.192).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Boston College have gone over 57.9 percent of the time, while Pittsburgh games have finished under 81.0 percent of the time. The Eagles have the better straight up (SU) record (15-10 vs. 8-18), but the Panthers have been better against the spread (ATS) (11-10 vs. 10-9).
Jerome Robinson has really been playing well over the last five games for Boston College, averaging 27.4 points and 3.6 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Panthers won the sole contest last season, 83-72. The Panthers played a flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.480 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1. For those same stats, the Eagles recorded marks of 0.145 and 19.4, respectively.
Boston College Eagles vs. Pittsburgh Panthers Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Boston College, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Under
- The Eagles average 14.0 assists per game, which ranks 127th in the NCAA. The Panthers rank 230th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Boston College ranks 230th in steals per game (4.8) while Pittsburgh ranks 240th (4.5).
- Boston College is 3-6 ATS on the road, while Pittsburgh is 5-5 ATS at home.
- Of the Eagles 9 road games, they have 4 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Panthers have 8 unders and 2 overs in 10 home games.
- Boston College ranks 80th in rebounds per game (37.5) while Pittsburgh ranks 266th (32.3).
- The Panthers average 24.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 74th in the nation. The Eagles rank 252nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- Boston College ranks 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Pittsburgh ranks 171st (4.2).
- Pittsburgh is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston College is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Panthers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 21.2, up from 9.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (8.0 above their season average).