ACC foes will collide when the No. 20 North Carolina Tar Heels (12-4, 1-2 ACC) challenge the Boston College Eagles (11-5, 2-2 ACC) at Dean E. Smith Center. North Carolina opened as a 14.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 152.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Boston College Eagles vs. North Carolina Tar Heels Odds Preview
The last time the Eagles played, they beat the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 77-71. Jerome Robinson was the games high scorer with 25 points on 6-for-15 shooting. The Eagles made 26 of their 35 free throws (74.3 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 16.5).
The Tar Heels are trying to rebound after their 61-49 loss to the No. 8 Virginia Cavaliers in their last game. Joel Berry II was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Virginia forced the Tar Heels into a turnover percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 14.8). North Carolina, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (9-11; 81.8 percent).
Opposite tempos will be on display in this contest. North Carolina likes to play quickly (44th in possessions per game), while Boston College likes to grind-it-out (219th in possessions per game).
Of Boston College’s 10 games with betting action, six have finished under the projected point total, while 7 of North Carolina’s 15 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (11-5 for Boston College; 12-4 for North Carolina), but the Tar Heels have the edge against the spread (ATS). North Carolina is 8-6-1 ATS, while the Eagles are 6-4.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Robinson, who has averaged 20.6 points, 3.2 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Tar Heels have received solid contributions from Berry II (21.4 points and 1.2 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Tar Heels won the only contest last season, 90-82. The Tar Heels played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.375 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 43.2. For those same stats, the Eagles were 0.088 and 27.0, respectively.
Boston College Eagles vs. North Carolina Tar Heels Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – Boston College, O/U – Under
- The Tar Heels rank third in rebounds per game (43.8) while the Eagles rank 116th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- Boston College ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while North Carolina ranks 82nd (6.3).
- On the road, Boston College is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- At home, North Carolina is 4-2 ATS with 4 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- Boston College ranks 117th in three pointers attempted per game (22.6) while North Carolina ranks 244th in three pointers allowed per game (26.8).
- The Tar Heels rank 25th in assists per game (17.3) while the Eagles rank 150th (13.4).
- Boston College ranks 30th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while North Carolina ranks 151st (4.9).
- North Carolina is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston College is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Tar Heels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 11.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (0.0 below their season average).