The Boston College Eagles (10-3, 1-0 ACC) visit John Paul Jones Arena to take on the No. 9 Virginia Cavaliers (11-1). The Eagles will try to continue their five-game winning streak. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Boston College Eagles at Virginia Cavaliers Betting Preview
In the Eagles last matchup, they were victorious over the Richmond Spiders, 78-73. Jordan Chatman was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Boston College dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.3 (better than their season average of 16.5) and a free throw rate of 0.156 (matching their season average). Richmond had marks of 17.0 and 0.118, respectively, for those same stats.
The Cavaliers will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the Hampton Pirates in their last outing, 82-48. With 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting, Kyle Guy was the top scorer from either team. Virginia played a flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 13.4) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.7 (above their season average of 26.2). For those same stats, Hampton recorded marks of 18.8 and 27.5, respectively.
The high-powered offense of Virginia (36th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 115.8) will go head-to-head against the bottom-tier defense of Boston College (260th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 98.1). The Cavaliers should have the edge on that side of the ball. Additionally, the Eagles rank 282nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.215), while the Cavaliers rank 57th in opponents FTA rate (0.186).
Jerome Robinson has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston College, averaging 19.6 points and 3.4 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Cavaliers won the sole contest played against each other last season, 71-54. The Cavaliers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.6 and a free throw rate of 0.231. The Eagles put up marks of 22.0 and 0.173, respectively, for those same stats.
Boston College Eagles at Virginia Cavaliers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Virginia, ATS Winner – Virginia, O/U – Over
- The Cavaliers rank 11th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Eagles rank 89th (2.5).
- Boston College ranks 153rd in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while Virginia ranks 229th (18.5).
- Virginia ranks second in assists allowed per game (8.8) while Boston College ranks 190th (12.9).
- The Cavaliers rank sixth in steals allowed per game (4.2) while the Eagles rank 124th (4.8).
- Virginia ranks 10th in rebounds allowed per game (29.9) while Boston College ranks 113th (33.5).
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 19.8, up from 19.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 81.0 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (1.3 above their season average).