The Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-10, 3-7 ACC), who are currently riding a seven-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Boston College Eagles (14-9, 4-6 ACC) to Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141.5 points with Notre Dame set as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Boston College Eagles vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish ATS Preview
In the Eagles last game, they defeated the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 80-72. With 17 points and eight rebounds, Ky Bowman played well for Boston College. Boston College dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.2 (above their season average of 29.4) and a free throw rate of 0.246 (above their season average of 0.220). Georgia Tech put up marks of 19.4 and 0.158, respectively, for those same stats.
The Fighting Irish are trying to rebound after their 76-58 loss to the North Carolina State Wolfpack in their last matchup. With 14 points, Notre Dame’s T.J. Gibbs had a good game. North Carolina State’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Wolfpack had more offensive rebounds (12 vs. seven), defensive rebounds (26 vs. 19) and total rebounds (38 vs. 26).
Notre Dame should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Notre Dame ranks 22nd in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while Boston College forces the 72nd-fewest turnovers (17.4 percent).
Of Boston College’s 17 games with betting action, 10 have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Notre Dame’s 18 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (14-9 for Boston College; 13-10 for Notre Dame), but the Eagles have the edge against the spread (ATS). Boston College is 9-8 ATS, while the Fighting Irish are 7-11.
Gibbs has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Notre Dame, averaging 19.6 points and 3.8 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Fighting Irish won both contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Notre Dame won 82-66. The Fighting Irish played a flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 8.6 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0. For those same stats, the Eagles had marks of 19.1 and 22.2, respectively.
Boston College Eagles vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Boston College, O/U – Over
- The Eagles average 14.0 assists per game, which ranks 120th in the NCAA. The Fighting Irish rank 179th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Notre Dame is 2-5 ATS at home, while Boston College is 3-5 ATS on the road.
- In 8 road games, the Eagles have 4 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- In 7 home games, the Fighting Irish have 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Notre Dame averages 22.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 112th in the NCAA. Boston College ranks 252nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- The Eagles rank 48th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Fighting Irish rank 135th (3.7).
- Notre Dame averages 36.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 100th in the NCAA. Boston College ranks 178th in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- Notre Dame is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston College is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs.
- The Fighting Irish have been outscored by an average of 11.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Notre Dame has defeated opponents by an average of 8.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (6.1 above their season average).