The Boston Celtics (39-16), the league’s top shooting defense, will take on the Washington Wizards (31-23) at Capital One Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 205 points with Washington opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
Boston Celtics at Washington Wizards ATS Preview
In the Celtics’ last matchup, they got blown out by the Toronto Raptors, 111-91. Boston’s Terry Rozier had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 18 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Toronto made 17 of their 36 three pointers (47.2 percent). Boston, meanwhile, held the Raptors to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.7 (below their season average of 23.7).
The Wizards are trying to rebound after their 115-102 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last outing. Bradley Beal was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Philadelphia was lights out from beyond the arc (14-28; 50.0 percent). Washington, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (9.8 vs. 16.2).
Boston should have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Celtics rank first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.485), while Washington is 12th in effective field goal percentage (0.524).
Of Boston’s 55 games, 29 have finished under the projected point total, while 28 of Washington’s 54 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a clear advantage. They are 39-16 SU and 32-20-3 ATS, while the Wizards are 31-23 SU and 25-29 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Celtics, it’s been Rozier, who has averaged 15.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Wizards have received solid contributions from Otto Porter Jr. (18.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 214 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 208.5. The Wizards won 111-103, covering as 4-point underdogs. The Wizards played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.1 and a free throw rate of 0.204. The Celtics put up marks of 15.3 and 0.136, respectively, for those same stats. John Wall recorded a double-double with 21 points and 14 assists.
Boston Celtics vs. Washington Wizards Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Wizards rank 13th in fast break points per game (11.6) while the Celtics rank 25th (9.6).
- Boston averages 44.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Washington ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (43.2).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.5) while Washington ranks 17th in three pointers allowed per game (29.6).
- Boston is 17-9 ATS on the road with 14 unders and 12 overs.
- At home, Washington is 10-16 ATS with 13 overs, 11 unders and 2 pushes.
- Washington is 15-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 26-2.
- The Wizards are 28-12 when they score above 100 points, while the Celtics are 28-7.
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Wizards rank 10th (7.5).
- Washington ranks sixth in points off turnovers per game (17.9) while Boston ranks 27th (14.2).
- The Celtics rank ninth in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while the Wizards rank 29th (13.9).
- The Wizards rank 23rd in points in the paint per game (42.2) while the Celtics rank 29th (38.9).
- Washington ranks fifth in assists per game (24.0) while Boston ranks 19th (22.2).
- Washington is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wizards’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 1.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 104.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.0 points per game (1.3 above their season average).