It will be a showdown between two stifling defenses when the Utah Jazz (42-32), 6.5-point favorites, take on the Boston Celtics (51-23) at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 197 points and it can be seen on ESPN at 9:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
Boston Celtics vs. Utah Jazz ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Jazz dismantled the Golden State Warriors 110-91, while the Celtics were victorious over the Phoenix Suns 102-94.
The Celtics knocked down 14 of their 14 free throws (100.0 percent) and had a better turnover percentage (12.2 vs. 14.4). Meanwhile, Utah dominated nearly every stat category in their game. They had a free throw rate of 0.161 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.552 (above their season average of 0.523). For those same stats, Golden State was 0.099 and 0.451, respectively. Rudy Gobert played a pivotal role for Utah with 17 points and 15 rebounds. Boston received a boost from Al Horford, who recorded 19 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
Points could be at a premium in this battle between a pair of the NBA’s top defenses. Utah currently ranks second in defensive efficiency (102.4) and Boston is first (101.9). Furthermore, second chance points could be rare for the Celtics. They rank 23rd in the league in offensive rebounding percentage at 21.2 percent, while the Jazz are fourth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 79.8 percent).
There does not appear to be a trend for Celtics games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Boston heads into the game with records of 51-23 straight up (SU) and 44-27-3 against the spread (ATS).
Much like Boston, a little over half of Jazz games have finished under the O/U total. Further, Utah is 42-32 SU and 39-35 ATS.
Both teams have had a couple of players take their game to the next level over their last five games. Terry Rozier (18.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals) and Jayson Tatum (15.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals) have been fantastic for the Celtics, while Donovan Mitchell (27.2 points, 3.6 assists and 2.2 steals) and Joe Ingles (15.6 points and 6.6 assists) have made solid contributions to the Jazz.
In their first matchup this season, Ricky Rubio led the Jazz to a 107-95 victory. He put up 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists. The two teams combined for 202 points, which was just over the projected point total of 197, and Utah covered as a 5-point underdog. Utah had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (23.7 vs. 4.2). Boston, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (7.8 vs. 14.2).
Boston Celtics vs. Utah Jazz Betting Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Jazz allow the third-fewest fast break points per game (9.8) while the Celtics rank fourth (10.3).
- Utah ranks third in steals per game (8.7) while Boston ranks 22nd (7.2).
- The Jazz rank 18th in points in the paint per game (43.8) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.0).
- Boston ranks 17th in second chance points per game (12.0) while Utah ranks 26th (10.9).
- Utah leads the league with 20.0 assists allowed per game while Boston is fourth with 20.8 assists allowed per game.
- The Jazz rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while the Celtics rank 18th (43.8).
- The Jazz rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.4) while the Celtics rank ninth (27.2).
- Utah ranks 13th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while Boston ranks 25th (14.9).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Utah is 29-6 and Boston is 33-4.
- The Jazz are 33-12 when they reach the century mark, while the Celtics are 39-10.
- Utah is 20-16 ATS at home, while Boston is 26-11 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 19 of the Celtics 37 road games, while 23 of the Jazz’s 36 home games have gone under.
- The Celtics are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Jazz are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Boston has 4 unders and 1 over, while Utah has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 100.0 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.8 points per game (1.4 below their season average).
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 3.3 for the season.