The Utah Jazz (5-6) will be 3-point favorites at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they clash with the Boston Celtics (7-4). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 209 points and it can be seen on ESPN at 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 9, 2018.
Boston Celtics at Utah Jazz Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last outing. The Jazz (10-point favorites) defeated the Dallas Mavericks 117-102, while the Celtics (1.5-point underdog) beat the Phoenix Suns 116-109. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Utah game finished 5 points over the projected point total of 214, while the Boston game finished 14.5 points over the projected point total of 210.5.
Boston played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.9 (above their season average of 20.6) and a free throw rate of 0.247 (above their season average of 0.163). Phoenix was 9.3 and 0.172, respectively, for those same stats. The Jazz, on the other hand, forced 24 turnovers and held the Mavericks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.452 (below their season average of 0.524). Rudy Gobert played well for Utah with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, Boston received a boost from Kyrie Irving, who recorded 39 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
This series was highly contested last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last contest, the Celtics won 97-94. Boston had a better effective field goal percentage (0.519 vs. 0.470). Utah, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (27.9 vs. 25.0). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Of the Celtics’ 10 games with betting action, six have finished under the projected point total. Boston is 7-4 straight up (SU), but they have a hard time covering the spread (4-6 against the spread (ATS)).
Contrary to Boston, Jazz games tend to finish over the total (72.7 percent). Further, Utah owns records of 5-6 SU and 5-6 ATS.
The Celtics’ Irving has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 22.2 points, 5.2 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game. Meanwhile, Jae Crowder has averaged 16.8 points and 5.2 rebounds during that same time frame for the Jazz.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the league’s slowest-paced teams square off. Utah ranks 22nd in possessions per game (101.8) and Boston is 26th (101.6).
Celtics at Jazz Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics are fourth in the NBA with 11.4 fast break points allowed per game while the Jazz are fifth with 11.5 fast break points allowed per game.
- Boston ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.7) while Utah ranks 21st (17.9).
- The Jazz rank 10th in points in the paint per game (49.6) while the Celtics rank 27th (37.6).
- Boston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.6) while Utah ranks 20th (8.1).
- Utah is second in the NBA with 21.2 assists allowed per game while Boston is fourth with 21.6 assists allowed per game.
- The Jazz rank third in three pointers allowed per game (27.6) while the Celtics rank 21st (32.4).
- The Celtics lead the league with 3.5 blocks allowed per game while the Jazz are third with 3.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Utah ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while Boston ranks 23rd (47.6).
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Utah is 1-1 and Boston is 3-1.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Celtics are 7-3 and the Jazz are 5-4.
- Boston is 2-4 ATS on the road, while Utah is 2-3 ATS at home.
- The Celtics have 4 unders and 2 overs in 6 road games.
- The Jazz have 4 overs and 1 under in 5 home games.
- The Celtics are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Jazz are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Boston has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Utah has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 109.8 points per game (4.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (6.8 above their season average).
- The Jazz have been outscored by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Utah has defeated opponents by an average of 1.1 points.