The leagues top shooting defense will be on the road at Smoothie King Center, when the Boston Celtics (47-22) clash with the New Orleans Pelicans (39-30). The game starts at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 18, 2018, and will air on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Boston Celtics at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Pelicans lost to the Houston Rockets, 107-101, while the Celtics were victorious over the Orlando Magic, 92-83.
Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.256 (above their season average of 0.185) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.7 (above their season average of 21.2). Orlando put up marks of 0.115 and 15.2, respectively, for those same stats. New Orleans, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.556 vs. 0.505). New Orleans rallied around Anthony Davis, who put up 26 points and 13 rebounds. Meanwhile, Al Horford had a good game for Boston, contributing 15 points and nine rebounds.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, this will be a matchup of two heavyweights. The elite New Orleans offense ranks fourth in the NBA in that metric at 0.541, while the elite Boston defense is ranked first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.490).
Of the Celtics 69 games, 35 have finished over the O/U total. Boston comes into the contest with records of 47-22 straight up (SU) and 41-25-3 against the spread (ATS).
Pelicans games have typically finished over the projected point total (61.8 percent). Moreover, New Orleans owns records of 39-30 SU and 36-32 ATS.
Terry Rozier has been playing at a high level recently for Boston, averaging 16.0 points and 4.0 assists over the last five games.
In their first matchup this season, Davis led the Pelicans to a 116-113 win. He registered a double-double with 45 points and 16 rebounds. New Orleans covered as a 6-point underdog and the two teams combined to score 229 points, which was over the projected point total of 214.5. Getting to the charity stripe was one of New Orleans largest advantages. They made 25 trips to the line, while Boston went 16 times.
Boston Celtics at New Orleans Pelicans Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks per game (5.9) while the Celtics rank 16th (4.7).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (51.8) while Boston ranks 29th (39.2).
- The Celtics rank fifth in steals allowed per game (7.1) while the Pelicans rank 24th (8.2).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.4) while New Orleans ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.8) while New Orleans ranks 21st (24.1).
- The Celtics rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (10.1) while the Pelicans rank 28th (14.5).
- The Celtics average 44.5 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (45.5).
- New Orleans ranks 20th in points off turnovers per game (16.1) while Boston ranks 26th (14.9).
- Boston ranks eighth in second chance points allowed per game (11.4) while New Orleans ranks 29th (13.7).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Boston is 30-4 and New Orleans is 8-2.
- The Celtics are 35-10 when they score over 100 points, while the Pelicans are 37-19.
- Boston is 24-9 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 13-19 ATS at home.
- The Celtics have 16 overs, 16 unders and 1 push in 33 road games.
- The Pelicans have 24 overs and 8 unders in 32 home games.
- In their last five games, Boston and New Orleans have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 1-4.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (9.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (1.0 below their season average).