The Boston Celtics (24-7), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will clash against the Memphis Grizzlies (9-20) at FedExForum. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Boston Celtics vs. Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The last time the Celtics played, they were beaten by the Utah Jazz, 107-95. With 33 points on 11-for-25 shooting, Kyrie Irving was the top scorer from either team. Utah held the Celtics to an offensive rebounding percentage of 4.2 (below their season average of 21.6). Boston, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (7.8 vs. 14.2).
The Grizzlies will look to keep it rolling after barely hanging on to beat the Atlanta Hawks in their last game, 96-94. Memphis received a boost from Tyreke Evans, who was the games high scorer with 22 points on 9-for-15 shooting. The Grizzlies had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.3 (above their season average of 19.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.538 (above their season average of 0.502).
Memphis might have trouble scoring as they clash against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Boston ranks first in defensive efficiency, while the Grizzlies rank 27th in offensive efficiency.
Of Boston’s 30 games with betting action, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 18 of Memphis 28 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a clear advantage. They are 24-7 SU and 20-8-2 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 9-20 SU and 10-17-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Celtics won both contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Boston won 113-103. The Celtics offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Grizzlies. Boston had a rate of 36.8, while Memphis posted a mark of 28.3.
Boston Celtics vs. Memphis Grizzlies Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies rank 15th in points off turnovers per game (17.0) while the Celtics rank 28th (13.7).
- Boston ranks 21st in second chance points per game (11.5) while Memphis ranks 28th (9.6).
- Boston ranks 16th in assists per game (22.4) while Memphis ranks 25th (20.9).
- Boston averages 31.0 three pointers per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Memphis ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (27.7).
- On the road, Boston is 11-4 ATS with 8 unders and 7 overs.
- Memphis is 5-11 ATS at home with 12 unders and 4 overs.
- Memphis is 7-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Boston is 17-0.
- The Grizzlies are 4-6 when they score above 100 points, while the Celtics are 17-3.
- The Grizzlies rank 20th in points in the paint per game (42.2) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.9).
- Boston ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (8.6) while Memphis ranks 24th (13.4).
- The Celtics rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Grizzlies rank 23rd (5.3).
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Grizzlies rank ninth (7.4).
- Boston ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.1).
- Memphis is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points per game (5.5 above their season average).