The Detroit Pistons (14-11) welcome the Boston Celtics (22-5) to Little Caesars Arena. The Pistons will attempt to snap their five-game losing streak. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 202 points with Boston set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 10, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Boston Celtics at Detroit Pistons Betting Preview
In the Celtics last outing, they lost a close one to the San Antonio Spurs, 105-102. With 36 points on 13-for-21 shooting, Kyrie Irving was the games leading scorer. San Antonio did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (21-24; 87.5 percent). Boston, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.524 vs. 0.519).
The Pistons are hoping for a better outcome after their 102-98 loss to the Golden State Warriors in their last game. With eight points and 17 rebounds, Detroit’s Andre Drummond played well. Golden State did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-22; 77.3 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, held the Warriors to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.8 (below their season average of 21.7).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Detroit currently ranks 23rd in possessions per game (98.2) and Boston is 25th (97.8).
Of Boston’s 27 games, 14 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Detroit’s 25 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (22-5 vs. 14-11) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (19-7-1 vs. 16-7-2).
Jayson Tatum has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 14.8 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 226 points, well over the projected point total of 199. The Pistons won 118-108, covering as 6-point underdogs. The Pistons played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.8 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5. For those same stats, the Celtics were 16.5 and 13.5, respectively. Drummond recorded a double-double with 26 points and 22 rebounds.
Boston Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 14th in points in the paint per game (43.9) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.5).
- Boston ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.1) while Detroit ranks ninth (26.7).
- Boston ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.7) while Detroit ranks seventh (7.3).
- Boston allows the fourth-fewest second chance points per game (10.3) while Detroit ranks fifth (10.9).
- On the road, Boston is 10-3 ATS with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Detroit is 7-3-1 ATS with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- Detroit is 7-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 16-0.
- The Celtics are 16-3 when they score above 100 points, while the Pistons are 12-4.
- The Celtics average 45.1 rebounds per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Pistons rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.7).
- Boston ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (20.7) while Detroit ranks 27th (24.5).
- The Celtics rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while the Pistons rank 25th (5.5).
- The Pistons allow the third-fewest fast break points per game (8.6) while the Celtics rank fifth (9.0).
- Detroit ranks 10th in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while Boston ranks 27th (13.8).
- Detroit is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 106.8 points per game (2.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average).