The Boston Celtics (23-5), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will meet the Chicago Bulls (5-20) at United Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 198.5 points with Boston opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 11, 2017, and it can be seen on WGN Channel 9.
Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls Odds Preview
The Celtics were victorious over the Detroit Pistons in their last outing, 91-81. Al Horford was Boston’s high scorer with 18 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Boston’s 0.487 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Detroit, who had a rate of 0.393. The Celtics mark was below their season average of 0.518, while the Pistons’ was below their season average of 0.519.
In the Bulls last matchup, they beat the New York Knicks, 104-102. Chicago rallied around Kris Dunn, who put up 17 points, nine assists and seven rebounds. The Bulls had a free throw rate of 0.159 (above their season average of 0.141) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.555 (above their season average of 0.479).
The ineffective offense of Chicago (30th in the league with an offensive efficiency of 97.7) will clash against the top-notch defense of Boston (first in the league with a defensive efficiency of 99.5). The Celtics figure to have the edge on that end of the court. ,
Of Boston’s 28 games, 14 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of Chicago’s 25 games have finished under the projected point total. The Celtics come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 23-5 SU and 20-7-1 ATS, while the Bulls are 5-20 SU and 11-11-3 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Celtics won six out of 10 games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Boston won 105-83. Boston’s effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Chicago. The Celtics had a rate of 0.588 while the Bulls posted a mark of 0.420.
Boston Celtics vs. Chicago Bulls Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Bulls rank 16th (17.4).
- Boston ranks 21st in blocks per game (4.4) while Chicago ranks 26th (3.7).
- Boston ranks 15th in steals per game (7.9) while Chicago ranks 26th (6.8).
- Chicago is second in the league with 10.1 second chance points allowed per game while Boston is third with 10.2 second chance points allowed per Boston is 11-3 ATS on the road with 7 overs and 7 unders.
- Chicago is 4-5-2 ATS at home with 8 unders and 3 overs.
- Boston is 17-0 when they allow less than 100 points, while Chicago is 2-5.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Bulls are 4-6 and the Celtics are 16-3.
- The Celtics rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.6) while the Bulls rank 11th (10.7).
- Boston ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (20.4) while Chicago ranks 25th (24.4).
- The Celtics rank seventh in rebounds per game (45.3) while the Bulls rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (46.0).
- The Celtics are 28th in the league with 39.4 points in the paint per game while the Bulls are 29th with 38.4 points in the paint per game.
- Boston averages 30.9 three pointers per game, which ranks eighth in the league. Chicago ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.7).
- Chicago is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bulls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.0, down from 9.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 103.4 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 97.4 points per game (0.5 above their season average).