The Boston Celtics (32-10) travel to Barclays Center to square off against the Brooklyn Nets (15-23). The Celtics will attempt to continue their five-game winning streak. Boston opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208.5 points. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Boston Celtics vs. Brooklyn Nets Odds Preview
In the Celtics last game, they defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves, 91-84. With 16 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, Boston’s Kyrie Irving put together a good game. Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 20.6) and a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 12.6). For those same stats, Minnesota was 18.8 and 12.0, respectively.
The Nets hope to keep it rolling after just getting past the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last contest, 98-97. Brooklyn rallied around Spencer Dinwiddie, who was the teams high scorer with 26 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Brooklyn’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Minnesota. The Nets had a rate of 0.611 (above their season average of 0.509), while the Timberwolves posted a mark of 0.456 (below their season average of 0.524).
This game should be a showdown of contrasting paces. Brooklyn likes to play up-tempo (fourth in possessions per game), while Boston is methodical (23rd in possessions per game).
Of Boston’s 41 games with betting action, 21 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Brooklyn’s 38 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (32-10 vs. 15-23), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Boston is 25-14-2 ATS, while Brooklyn is 23-15 ATS.
Terry Rozier has really been playing well over the last five games for Boston, averaging 15.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Celtics winning both. In the most recent contest, Irving scored a game-high 28 points and the Celtics beat the Nets 108-105 but did not cover as 9.5-point favorites. He also had eight rebounds. The two teams combined to score 213 points, which was just 3.5 points above the projected point total of 209.5 points. Boston’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Brooklyn. The Celtics had a rate of 0.582 while the Nets posted a mark of 0.468.
Boston Celtics at Brooklyn Nets Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while the Nets rank 20th (17.5).
- Boston ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.3) while Brooklyn ranks 12th (10.6).
- Boston ranks 16th in steals per game (7.5) while Brooklyn ranks last (6.4).
- Boston ranks second in assists allowed per game (20.0) while Brooklyn ranks seventh (21.2).
- On the road, Boston is 13-6 ATS with 11 unders and 8 overs.
- Brooklyn is 10-7 ATS at home with 9 unders and 8 overs.
- Brooklyn is 10-0 when they allow under 100 points, while Boston is 23-1.
- The Celtics are 23-4 when they reach the century mark, while the Nets are 11-17.
- The Celtics rank fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while the Nets rank 18th (12.3).
- Boston ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while Brooklyn ranks 27th (5.4).
- The Nets rank fourth in rebounds per game (45.5) while the Celtics rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (43.8).
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (34.0) while the Celtics rank seventh (31.3).
- Brooklyn ranks 13th in points in the paint per game (44.0) while Boston ranks 29th (39.6).
- Brooklyn is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Nets have outscored opponents by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Brooklyn has been defeated by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 100.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 93.2 points per game (4.7 below their season average).