The Boston Celtics (39-15), the leagues top shooting defense, will challenge the Toronto Raptors (36-16) at Air Canada Centre. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on The Sports Network.
Boston Celtics vs. Toronto Raptors Betting Preview
In the Celtics last game, they won a close one over the Portland Trail Blazers, 97-96. Al Horford was the games high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.141 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.519). For those same stats, Portland had marks of 0.121 and 0.467, respectively.
The Raptors hope to maintain momentum after topping the Memphis Grizzlies in their last outing, 101-86. Toronto was lifted by Fred VanVleet, who finished with 13 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. The Raptors forced 19 turnovers and held the Grizzlies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.407 (below their season average of 0.505).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-powered offense of Toronto (fourth in the league with an offensive efficiency of 110.8) takes on the top-notch defense of Boston (first in the league with a defensive efficiency of 100.5).
Of Boston’s 54 games, 28 have finished under the O/U total, while 27 of Toronto’s 52 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (39-15 for Boston; 36-16 for Toronto), but the Celtics hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). Boston is 32-19-3 ATS, while the Raptors are 28-24.
Jonas Valanciunas has been on fire over the last five games for Toronto, averaging 18.8 points and 9.8 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 189 points, which was under the projected point total of 202. The Celtics won 95-94, covering as 3-point underdogs. Boston’s rebounding was their largest strength. The Celtics had more offensive rebounds (15 vs. six), defensive rebounds (31 vs. 30) and total rebounds (46 vs. 36). Marcus Smart was a standout player in the game, putting up 14 points, nine assists and five rebounds.
Boston Celtics at Toronto Raptors Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank 10th in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while the Raptors rank 28th (13.6).
- Toronto ranks 15th in rebounds per game (43.5) while Boston ranks 21st in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Toronto ranks second in blocks per game (6.0) while Boston ranks 16th (4.6).
- Boston ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Toronto ranks seventh (7.3).
- Boston is 17-8 ATS on the road with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- Toronto is 14-11 ATS at home with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Toronto is 16-5 and Boston is 26-2.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Celtics are 28-7 and the Raptors are 33-9.
- The Celtics rank second in assists allowed per game (20.2) while the Raptors rank ninth (22.0).
- Toronto ranks second in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while Boston ranks 28th (14.2).
- The Raptors rank fourth in points in the paint per game (48.4) while the Celtics rank 29th (39.0).
- The Raptors rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.1) while the Celtics rank seventh (26.5).
- Toronto ranks sixth in fast break points per game (13.9) while Boston ranks 25th (9.6).
- Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 4-0-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Raptors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 99.6 points per game (1.2 above their season average).