A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Los Angeles Lakers (17-29) when they welcome the Boston Celtics (34-13) to Staples Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208 points with Boston set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Boston Celtics vs. Los Angeles Lakers Betting Preview
In the Celtics last contest, they were beaten by the Orlando Magic, 103-95. With 40 points on 14-for-23 shooting, Kyrie Irving was the top scorer from either team. Orlando had a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 13.0). Boston, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (13-14; 92.9 percent).
The Lakers hope to keep it rolling after blowing out the New York Knicks in their last game, 127-107. Los Angeles received a boost from Jordan Clarkson, who was the games high scorer with 29 points on 12-for-19 shooting. Los Angeles played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 5.6 (better than their season average of 14.0) and a free throw rate of 0.165 (matching their season average). For those same stats, New York was 16.6 and 0.086, respectively.
The ineffective offense of Los Angeles (29th in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 102.2) will battle against the top-notch defense of Boston (first in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 100.3). The Celtics should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Boston’s 47 games, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 24 of Los Angeles 46 games have finished over the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 34-13 SU and 27-18-2 ATS, while the Lakers are 17-29 SU and 23-23 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 203 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 215. The Celtics won 107-96, covering as 7-point favorites. The Celtics dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.4 and a free throw rate of 0.245. The Lakers had marks of 18.1 and 0.200, respectively, for those same stats. Aron Baynes was the games leading scorer with 21 points.
Boston Celtics vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank eighth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.4) while the Lakers rank 28th (19.6).
- Boston ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Los Angeles ranks 22nd (8.2).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (17.1) while Boston ranks 21st (9.7).
- Boston averages 31.4 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.7).
- On the road, Boston is 14-7 ATS with 12 unders and 9 overs.
- At home, Los Angeles is 13-12 ATS with 14 overs and 11 unders.
- Los Angeles is 8-3 when they allow below 100 points, while Boston is 24-2.
- When reaching 100 points, the Lakers are 14-16 and the Celtics are 24-5.
- The Lakers average 46.2 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Celtics rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.1).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (53.3) while Boston ranks 29th (39.4).
- The Celtics rank seventh in blocks allowed per game (4.3) while the Lakers rank last (5.7).
- The Celtics rank second in assists allowed per game (20.0) while the Lakers rank 17th (23.0).
- Boston ranks sixth in second chance points allowed per game (11.1) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (14.2).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers have outscored opponents by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Los Angeles has lost by an average of 3.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 97.8 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average).