The Boston Celtics (25-7), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will challenge the Indiana Pacers (17-13) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Boston opened as a 2-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 206.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Boston Celtics at Indiana Pacers ATS Preview
The Celtics were victorious over the Memphis Grizzlies in their last contest, 102-93. With 19 points and nine rebounds, Boston’s Jayson Tatum played well. The Celtics, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.0, had a fantastic mark of 33.3 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.575 (above their season average of 0.517).
In the Pacers last matchup, they defeated the Brooklyn Nets, 109-97. Indiana was lifted by Victor Oladipo, who was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-14 shooting. The Pacers held the Nets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.9 (below their season average of 21.9) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.618 (above their season average of 0.535).
Indiana may have difficulty getting to the foul line in this showdown. The Pacers currently rank 26th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.173, while Boston ranks eighth in FTA rate allowed (0.181).
Of Boston’s 32 games, 16 have finished over the projected point total, while 15 of Indiana’s 29 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a sizable advantage. They are 25-7 SU and 21-9-2 ATS, while the Pacers are 17-13 SU and 17-12 ATS.
Oladipo has really been playing well over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 30.4 points, 7.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 206 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 203.5. The Celtics won 108-98, covering as 3.5-point favorites. The Celtics 14.3 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Pacers, who had a mark of 18.3. Al Horford was a standout player in the game, putting up 21 points, six assists and five rebounds.
Boston Celtics at Indiana Pacers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Pacers, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.6) while the Pacers rank 27th (47.5).
- Indiana ranks third in fast break points per game (15.1) while Boston ranks 16th (9.8).
- Boston ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (31.0) while Indiana ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (31.0).
- Boston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Indiana ranks seventh (7.1).
- Indiana is 9-7 ATS at home, while Boston is 12-4 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 9 of the Celtics 16 road games, while 10 of the Pacers 16 home games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Boston is 18-0 and Indiana is 8-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Pacers are 15-5 and the Celtics are 18-3.
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (20.4) while the Pacers rank 19th (23.5).
- Boston ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Indiana ranks 28th (5.6).
- The Pacers rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (19.0) while the Celtics rank 28th (13.9).
- The Celtics average 44.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Pacers rank 18th in rebounds allowed per game (43.5).
- Boston ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Indiana ranks 24th (13.9).
- Indiana is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pacers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.0, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (3.3 above their season average).