The Houston Rockets (48-13) look to continue their 14-game winning streak against the Boston Celtics (44-19) at Toyota Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 217 points with Houston set as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ABC.
Boston Celtics at Houston Rockets Odds Preview
In the Celtics last contest, they won big over the Charlotte Hornets, 134-106. Kyrie Irving was the games leading scorer with 34 points on 13-for-18 shooting. The Celtics, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.516, had a ridiculous mark of 0.690, while the Hornets had a free throw rate of 0.143 (below their season average of 0.225).
The Rockets will look to maintain momentum after beating the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup, 105-92. Houston’s Clint Capela was a key piece with 22 points and 14 rebounds. Houston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (above their season average of 21.6) and a turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 12.3). Los Angeles recorded marks of 11.4 and 15.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the prolific offense of Houston takes on the top-notch defense of Boston. The Rockets rank second in offensive efficiency, while the Celtics are first in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Celtics rank 23rd in offensive rebounding percentage (21.0 percent), while the Rockets rank third in defensive rebounding percentage (80.9 percent).
Of Boston’s 63 games, 32 have finished over the O/U total, while 32 of Houston’s 61 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (48-13 vs. 44-19), but the Celtics have been superior against the spread (ATS) (36-24-3 vs. 32-28-1).
Terry Rozier has really been playing well over the last five games for Boston, averaging 14.8 points and 4.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 197 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 215.5. The Celtics won 99-98, covering as 1.5-point underdogs. The Celtics offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Rockets. Boston had a rate of 21.7, while Houston posted a mark of 17.1. James Harden recorded a double-double in the defeat, with 34 points and 10 assists.
Boston Celtics at Houston Rockets Betting Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Celtics rank 22nd (44.0).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.5) while Houston ranks 12th in three pointers allowed per game (28.9).
- Boston ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.8) while Houston ranks 17th (12.0).
- Boston is 20-9 ATS on the road with 14 overs, 14 unders and 1 push.
- Houston is 12-17-1 ATS at home with 16 overs and 14 unders.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Houston is 22-2 and Boston is 28-3.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Celtics are 33-8 and the Rockets are 46-10.
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (20.6) while the Rockets rank 13th (23.0).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (8.7) while Boston ranks 23rd (7.1).
- The Celtics rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.9) while the Rockets rank 28th (48.0).
- Houston ranks sixth in points off turnovers per game (17.7) while Boston ranks 26th (14.7).
- Houston is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, up from 8.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 118.6 points per game (14.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.6 points per game (8.7 above their season average).