The Charlotte Hornets (12-21) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they challenge the Boston Celtics (27-10). Boston is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 206 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Boston Celtics at Charlotte Hornets ATS Preview
The Celtics were beaten by the Washington Wizards in their last matchup, 111-103. Boston’s Kyrie Irving had 20 points and five assists in the game. Washington had a turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 12.2). Boston, on the other hand, was lights out from beyond the arc (14-29; 48.3 percent).
The last time the Hornets played, they topped the Milwaukee Bucks, 111-106. With 21 points on 7-for-11 shooting, Dwight Howard led Charlotte in scoring. Charlotte dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.405 (above their season average of 0.233) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.3 (above their season average of 22.4). Milwaukee was 0.161 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte might struggle to put up points as they clash against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Boston currently ranks first in defensive efficiency, while the Hornets rank 22nd in offensive efficiency. Also, second chance points figure to be few and far between for the Celtics. They rank 22nd in the league in offensive rebounding percentage at 20.8 percent, while the Hornets are the best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 81.6 percent).
Of Boston’s 37 games, 19 have finished over the O/U total, while 17 of Charlotte’s 33 games have finished under the projected point total. The Celtics come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 27-10 SU and 22-13-2 ATS, while the Hornets are 12-21 SU and 12-17-4 ATS.
Marcus Smart has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 12.4 points, 3.6 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 177 points, well under the projected point total of 204.5. The Celtics won 90-87, covering as 3-point favorites. The Celtics dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.4 and a turnover percentage of 12.0. For those same stats, the Hornets were 14.9 and 12.9, respectively. In the loss, Kemba Walker recorded a double-double with 20 points and 11 assists.
Boston Celtics at Charlotte Hornets ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (20.4) while the Hornets rank 19th (23.2).
- Charlotte is 25th in the league with 15.0 points off turnovers per game while Boston is 29th with 14.1 points off turnovers per game.
- Charlotte ranks 14th in points in the paint per game (43.4) while Boston ranks 28th (39.1).
- Boston is 12-6 ATS on the road, while Charlotte is 9-9-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Hornets’19 home games, while 10 of the Celtics 18 road games have gone under.
- Boston is 19-1 when they allow below 100 points, while Charlotte is 6-2.
- When reaching 100 points, the Celtics are 20-4 and the Hornets are 12-9.
- The Celtics rank 16th in steals per game (7.6) while the Hornets rank 29th (6.2).
- Boston ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while Charlotte ranks 24th (30.7).
- The Celtics rank third in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while the Hornets rank 19th (4.9).
- The Hornets allow the fewest second chance points per game (9.6) while the Celtics rank fifth (10.7).
- Charlotte averages 46.6 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the league. Boston ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (43.5).
- Charlotte is 1-2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 102.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.2 points per game (2.7 above their season average).