It will be a battle between two superb defenses when the Orlando Magic (21-24) take on the Boston Celtics (29-14) at Amway Center. The game begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Boston Celtics at Orlando Magic ATS Odds
The Celtics will be looking for a similar result after comfortably covering the 7-point spread against the Memphis Grizzlies in their last game, 119-95. The Magic, meanwhile, were defeated by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 120-114, and were not able to cover as 2.5-point underdogs. The Boston game finished 19.5 points under the projected point total of 233.5, while the Orlando game finished 23.5 points over the projected point total of 210.5.
Boston played a flawless game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 11.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below their season average of 23.9). For those same stats, Memphis was 14.9 and 12.5, respectively. Orlando, on the other hand, held Oklahoma City to an offensive rebounding percentage of 0.0 (below their season average of 19.9). Nikola Vucevic played a key role for Orlando with 24 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Jayson Tatum, meanwhile had a good game for Boston, contributing 23 points and seven rebounds.
The Magic dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in all three games. In the last contest, Orlando won 116-108. Making free throws was one of Orlando’s largest strengths. They were 22-22 (100.0 percent), while the Celtics were 12-14 (85.7 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Just over half of the Celtics’ games have finished under the total. Boston heads into the game with records of 29-14 straight up (SU) and 25-17-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Magic’s 45 games, 25 have finished under the total. Further, Orlando is 21-24 SU and 21-20-4 ATS.
The ineffective offense of Orlando will battle against the stingy defense of Boston. The Magic currently rank 24th in offensive efficiency, while the Celtics are fifth in defensive efficiency. The Celtics should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Celtics vs. Magic Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Magic, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Under
- Orlando averages 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Boston ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- The Celtics average 45.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Magic rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (46.1).
- Orlando ranks third in steals per game (8.6) while Boston ranks eighth (8.3).
- Boston ranks sixth in fast break points per game (15.4) while Orlando ranks ninth in fast break points allowed per game (12.3).
- The Celtics rank ninth in points in the paint per game (49.1) while the Magic rank 25th (45.0).
- The Magic lead the NBA with 14.1 points off turnovers allowed per game while the Celtics are fourth with 15.0 points off turnovers allowed per game.
- Orlando ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while Boston ranks eighth (12.3).
- When allowing less than 100 points, Orlando is 12-4 and Boston is 10-2.
- The Magic are 17-10 when they score over 100 points, while the Celtics are 28-8.
- Boston is 12-7-1 ATS on the road, while Orlando is 9-11-2 ATS at home.
- The Celtics have 12 unders and 8 overs in 20 road games.
- In 22 home games, the Magic have 14 unders and 8 overs.
- The Celtics are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Magic are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Boston has 4 overs and 1 under, while Orlando has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 7.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 105.8 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (6.1 above their season average).