Two teams that split their season series (two wins apiece) last year, the Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens take the ice at Bell Centre for an Original Six showdown. The opening face-off takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, and you can view the game live on CBC Sports.
Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens Odds
Boston comes into the matchup as the heavy favorite with a moneyline of -140. The line for Montreal sits at +120 and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-105 for the over, -115 for the under).
Boston is 23-17 straight up (SU) and has earned 1.9 units for moneyline bettors this season. Through 40 regular season matches, 20 of its games have gone under the total, while 19 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Bruins are 9-9 SU on the road in 2017-18.
Boston has converted on 20.8 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s good enough for 10th-best in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 10th overall, and it has successfully killed off 82.9 percent of its penalties.
For the team as a whole, the Bruins have been penalized 4.1 times per game during the 2017-18 season, and 3.4 per game over its last five road outings. The team has been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 7.8 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Boasting a .920 save percentage and 25.1 saves per game, Tuukka Rask (14-13-4) has been the best option in goal for Boston this year. If it chooses to give him a rest, however, the team might roll with Anton Khudobin (9-6-3 record, .925 save percentage, 2.37 goals against average).
Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Bruins. Marchand has 40 points on 17 goals and 23 assists, and has recorded two or more points 12 times. Pastrnak has 17 goals and 22 assists to his nameand has logged a point in 26 games.
Montreal is 18-24 straight up (SU) and has lost 9.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. 23 of its outings have gone under the total, while 17 have gone over and just two have pushed. The team is 11-11 SU at home this season.
The Canadiens have converted on just 19.2 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 26th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 78.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Canadiens players have been penalized 3.9 times per game in total this season, 3.8 per game over their past five games total, and 3.4 per game over their last five at home. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays just 6.8 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Carey Price has stopped 28.3 shots per game as the top option in goal for the Canadiens. Price has 13 wins, 16 losses, and two OT losses and has recorded a .911 save percentage and 2.89 goals against average this season.
The Habs will be led on offense by Max Pacioretty (10 goals, 13 assists) and Alex Galchenyuk (10 goals, 13 assists).
Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Canadiens, O/U – Over
- Eight of Montreal’s last ten contests have been decided by two or more goals. The club is 2-6 overall in those games.
- The Bruins are 10-5 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Canadiens are 5-13 SU in games where they serve more minutes than the opposition.
- Two of Boston’s last ten games have been decided by a shootout. The team is 1-1 in those games and 2-2 overall in shootouts this season.
- The under has hit in four of Montreal’s last five outings.
- Montreal is ranked 30th this season with 13.4 giveaways per game. That figure has improved, however, as the teams averaged 10.5 giveaways over its last 10 games and 10.0 giveaways over its last five.
- Boston skaters have averaged 9.1 giveaways per game (the 12th-fewest in the NHL).
- This game features a couple of the more physical teams in the league. Boston skaters have accounted for the leagues seventh-most hits per game (23.4) while the Canadiens have handed the fourth-most (24.4).