PNC Arena is the site for an Eastern Conference showdown as the Boston Bruins pay a visit to the Carolina Hurricanes. It’s the third and last time that the two clubs will go at it in the regular season. The puck drops at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, and you’ll be able to witness the game live on Sportsnet ONE.
Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes Odds
Boston is 43-24 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 8.3 units this season. 35 of its games have gone under the total, while 31 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Bruins are 18-13 SU on the road in 2017-18.
Boston has converted on 22.0 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that’s good enough for sixth-best in the league. On the other hand, it has the ninth-best penalty kill in the league, and the team’s successfully killed off 82.5 percent of its penalties.
The Bruins, as a collective unit, have been sent to the penalty box 3.9 times per game in the 2017-18 season, 4.4 per game over its past five total, and 3.6 per game over its last five games as the visiting team. The team has been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 8.2 minutes per game over their last five road outings.
Boasting a .918 save percentage and 25.2 saves per game, Tuukka Rask (28-16-4) has been the primary option in goal for Boston this year. If it decides to give him a rest, however, the team could go with Anton Khudobin (15-11-4), who has a .918 save percentage and 2.48 goals against average this year.
Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak will both spearhead the attack for the visiting Bruins. Marchand has 69 points via 29 goals and 40 assists, and has recorded two or more points in 20 different games. Pastrnak has 24 goals and 40 assists to his name (and has logged at least one point in 44 games).
Carolina is 30-39 straight up (SU) and has lost 12.7 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 69 regular season contests, 38 of its games have gone under the total, while 28 have gone over and just two have pushed. It’s 16-18 SU as the home team this year.
The Hurricanes have converted on just 19.3 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 24th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 78.0 percent of all penalties.
Carolina players have been penalized only 2.8 times per game in total this season, 2.4 per game over their last five games total, and 2.6 per game over their last five home outings. The team’s had to defend opponent power plays just 6.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Cam Ward (24.8 saves per game) has been the top option in goal for the Hurricanes. Ward has 19 wins, 17 losses, and four overtime losses and has registered a mediocre 2.70 goals against average and a subpar .907 save percentage this year.
The Canes offense will be led by Teuvo Teravainen (20 goals, 34 assists).
Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes Betting Predictions
Free Pick: SU Winner – Bruins, O/U – Over
- Over Carolina’s last ten outings, six of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 2-4 in those games).
- The Hurricanes are 16-22 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 24-32 when they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total.
- Carolina is 3-3 in games decided by a shootout this season while Boston is 3-2 in shootouts.
- Boston may have an advantage if this one comes down to the wire. The team’s an impressive 19-10 in one-goal games, while Carolina is only 11-20 in such games.
- The under has hit in four of Carolina’s last five games.
- Carolina skaters have averaged 12.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 9.8 giveaways per game (ranked 17th in the league).
- Boston has averaged 11.4 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 9.7 giveaways per game (ranked 16th in the NHL).
- Boston skaters have accounted for the ninth-most hits in the league (23.9 per game), but the team’s averaged just 19.8 hits over their last five away games.