MWC foes will clash when the San Diego State Aztecs (17-10, 9-7 MWC) square off with the Boise State Broncos (22-6, 12-4 MWC) at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. San Diego State opened as a 3-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 11 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Boise State Broncos vs. San Diego State Aztecs Free Preview
In the Broncos’ last matchup, they easily got past the Colorado State Rams, 87-54. Chandler Hutchison was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Boise State played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 47.4 (above their season average of 28.4) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.531 (below their season average of 0.550). For those same stats, Colorado State was 25.0 and 0.321, respectively.
The Aztecs come in on a high note after beating the San Jose State Spartans in their last matchup, 71-59. San Diego State received a boost from Jalen McDaniels, who was the team’s high scorer with 16 points on 3-for-7 shooting. The Aztecs had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 15.0) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.449).
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the nation’s best defenses face off. San Diego State currently ranks 36th in defensive efficiency (97.6) and Boise State is 17th (95.5).
Of Boise State’s 27 games that accepted bets, 16 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of San Diego State’s 25 games have finished over the O/U total. The Broncos have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (22-6 vs. 17-10), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Boise State is 15-12 ATS, while San Diego State is 15-10 ATS.
Christian Sengfelder has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Boise State, averaging 15.4 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 163 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 144. The Broncos won 83-80, but were unable to cover as 4-point favorites. The Broncos played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.255 and a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.686. For those same stats, the Aztecs recorded marks of 0.154 and 0.538, respectively. In the victory, Hutchison led all scorers with 44 points.
Boise State Broncos vs. San Diego State Aztecs Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Boise State, ATS Winner – Boise State, O/U – Under
- Boise State is 7-6 ATS on the road with 9 unders and 4 overs.
- San Diego State is 9-2 ATS at home with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- Boise State averages 25.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 47th in the nation. San Diego State ranks 218th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- The Broncos rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while the Aztecs rank 64th (32.8).
- Boise State averages 13.5 assists per game, which ranks 152nd in the NCAA. San Diego State ranks 171st in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boise State is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Aztecs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.2, down from 9.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (3.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (2.7 below their season average).