The Boise State Broncos (10-1) will try to continue their six-game winning streak against the SMU Mustangs (8-3) at Moody Coliseum. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 132 points with SMU set as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Boise State Broncos at SMU Mustangs Betting Preview
The Broncos were victorious over the Grand Canyon Antelopes in their last matchup, 85-80. Chandler Hutchison was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 10-for-23 shooting. The Broncos had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.407 (above their season average of 0.201) and held the Antelopes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.491).
In the Mustangs last game, they topped the New Orleans Privateers, 79-66. With 19 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Jimmy Whitt was the top scorer from either team. SMU dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3 (above their season average of 36.4) and a free throw rate of 0.185 (below their season average of 0.238). For those same stats, New Orleans put up marks of 30.0 and 0.151, respectively.
This showdown pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. SMU currently ranks 25th in offensive efficiency and Boise State is fourth in defensive efficiency.
Both of these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Boise State games have finished under 70.0 percent of the time, while games featuring SMU have finished under 66.7 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Broncos have a substantial advantage. They are 10-1 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Mustangs are 8-3 SU and 3-3 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Broncos won the sole game played against each other last season, 71-62. The Broncos played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.6 and a great free throw rate of 0.259. For those same stats, the Mustangs put up marks of 19.8 and 0.200, respectively.
Boise State Broncos vs. SMU Mustangs Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – SMU, ATS Winner – Boise State, O/U – Under
- The Mustangs allow the 28th-fewest steals per game (5.5) while the Broncos rank 60th (5.7).
- SMU is 2-0 ATS at home, while Boise State is 2-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 1 of the Mustangs 2 home games, while 3 of the Broncos 4 road games have gone under.
- Boise State averages 27.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. SMU ranks 202nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.2).
- The Mustangs rank 34th in assists per game (18.2) while the Broncos rank 116th (14.2).
- Boise State ranks 26th in rebounds per game (40.5) while SMU ranks 93rd (35.3).
- SMU is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boise State is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mustangs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, down from 14.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (0.3 below their season average).