A seven-game home winning streak is on the line for the New Mexico Lobos (12-12, 7-4 MWC) when they meet the Boise State Broncos (19-4, 9-2 MWC) at Dreamstyle Arena. Boise State is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 148 points. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Boise State Broncos vs. New Mexico Lobos Free Preview
In the Broncos last matchup, they won a close one over the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels, 93-91. Chandler Hutchison was Boise State’s high scorer with 21 points on 6-for-18 shooting. The Broncos held the Runnin’ Rebels to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 (below their season average of 34.5) and had a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 17.1).
The Lobos hope to maintain momentum after barely hanging on to beat the San Jose State Spartans in their last outing, 71-68. New Mexico received a boost from Antino Jackson, who was the teams high scorer with 17 points on 6-for-15 shooting. The Lobos forced 25 turnovers and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.509 vs. 0.500).
New Mexico could put on a ball-control clinic in this matchup. New Mexico ranks 43rd in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while Boise State forces the 39th-fewest turnovers (16.5 percent). Also, the Broncos rank 34th in effective field goal percentage (0.557), whereas the suspect defense of the Lobos ranks 304th with an effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.536.
Of Boise State’s 22 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of New Mexico’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. The Broncos have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (19-4 vs. 12-12), but both teams have the same against the spread (ATS) record (12-10).
Joe Furstinger has been playing at a high level recently for New Mexico, averaging 10.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.4 blocks over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 152 points, just over the projected point total of 148.5. The Broncos won 90-62, covering as 10-point favorites. Boise State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.0 vs. 12.2). New Mexico, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent). Hutchison put up a double-double in the victory with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
Boise State Broncos vs. New Mexico Lobos Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Boise State, ATS Winner – Boise State, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 42nd in assists per game (16.1) while the Broncos rank 121st (14.0).
- On the road, Boise State is 5-5 ATS with 6 unders and 4 overs.
- New Mexico is 8-3 ATS at home with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Boise State ranks 19th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while New Mexico ranks 239th (37.6).
- The Lobos rank 50th in steals per game (7.4) while the Broncos rank 179th (5.3).
- New Mexico averages 30.7 three pointers per game, which ranks third in the nation. Boise State ranks 124th in three pointers allowed per game (21.5).
- New Mexico is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boise State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lobos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 79.2 points per game (0.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.4 points per game (5.1 above their season average).