The UMBC Retrievers (13-8, 4-2 AmEast) look to continue a nine-game home winning streak when they take on the Binghamton Bearcats (10-11, 1-5 AmEast) at Retriever Activities Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Binghamton Bearcats vs. UMBC Retrievers Betting Preview
The Bearcats fell to the Massachusetts-Lowell River Hawks in their last matchup, 79-71. Binghamton’s Thomas Bruce finished with 13 points and 19 rebounds in the contest. Massachusetts-Lowell had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 16.6). Binghamton, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.8 (above their season average of 26.6).
In the Retrievers last matchup, they were beaten by the Albany Great Danes, 83-39. Jairus Lyles was UMBC’s high scorer with 14 points on 7-for-13 shooting. One of Albany’s biggest strengths was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 8-10 (80.0 percent), while the Retrievers were just 3-7 (42.9 percent).
The elite offense of UMBC (95th in the NCAA with an effective field goal percentage 0.531) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Binghamton (254th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.520). The Retrievers figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Retrievers won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, UMBC won 92-74. The Retrievers dominated every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 and a turnover percentage of 10.7. For those same stats, the Bearcats had marks of 16.1 and 16.2, respectively.
Binghamton Bearcats at UMBC Retrievers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Under
- The Retrievers rank 54th in assists per game (15.7) while the Bearcats rank 126th in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- Binghamton ranks 38th in blocks per game (4.7) while UMBC ranks 188th (2.3).
- The Retrievers rank 12th in three pointers attempted per game (28.7) while the Bearcats rank 159th (21.5).
- UMBC ranks 140th in rebounds per game (36.0) while Binghamton ranks 234th (33.4).
- The Retrievers have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. On the season, UMBC has defeated opponents by an average of 4.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Bearcats have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (7.3 above their season average).