The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (+35) are traveling west to face the No. 5 Ohio State Buckeyes at Ohio Stadium. This Big 10 game kicks off at 3:30 p.m. ET and fans can watch the action on Big Ten Network.
Betting Preview: Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Ohio State Buckeyes
Rutgers is a heavy road dog here and is currently getting 35 points by oddsmakers. Oddsmakers have placed the over/under (O/U) at 58.5 points. If one squad gets out in front early, it will likely result in a nice live betting opportunity.
The game’s total was originally set at 60.5, but sharp bettors are siding with the under.
The Scarlet Knights are 1-0 against the spread (ATS) and have gained 1.0 unit so far. The team’s posted an O/U record of 0-1.
The Buckeyes have gained 0.0 units for moneyline bettors this season. They’re 1-0 ATS and have an O/U record of 1-0.
The Scarlet Knights are 1-0 straight up (SU) and they haven’t faced any Big 10 competition yet. The Buckeyes are 1-0 SU overall and are also 0-0 SU in conference play.
When these two teams met last year, Ohio State won by a landslide 56-0.
The Scarlet Knights are hoping to stay undefeated after a 35-7 victory over Texas State last week in which Artur Sitkowski completed 20-of-29 passes for 205 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. Jonathan Hilliman (60 yards on 15 rushes, two TDs) and Raheem Blackshear (62 yards on 12 carries, one TD) led the ground attack while Blackshear (seven receptions, 56 yards, one TD) and Bo Melton (four catches, 57 yards) handled the receiving duties in the win.
Ohio State is coming off of a 77-31 win over Oregon State. The defense let the Beavers run for 196 yards on 39 rush attempts, including two rush TDs. Artavis Pierce was on a different level for Oregon State, putting up 168 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 11 attempts, along with 41 yards on three catches. For Ohio State, Dwayne Haskins completed 22-of-30 passes for 313 yards, five touchdowns and one interception. Mike Weber (186 rushing yards on 20 attempts, three TDs) and J.K. Dobbins (74 yards on 15 carries) handled the running game while K.J. Hill (six receptions, 82 yards) and Austin Mack (five catches, 69 yards) led the receiving attack in the win.
If 2017’s numbers are any indication, then it appears the Buckeyes ought to have an edge in all aspects of the ground game. Their backfield produced 5.8 yards per carry last season while their defense allowed a YPC of 2.9 to opponents. The Scarlet Knights rushed for 4.0 yards per carry last year while allowing a YPC of 4.6 to opposing runners.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Ohio State Buckeyes NCAA Pick
SU Winner: Ohio State, ATS Winner: Rutgers, O/U: Over
Team Betting Trends
- The Ohio State defense has sacked opposing QBs five times this year. Rutgers has produced 3 sacks.
- Each team has lost one fumble this year,
- The Scarlet Knights created 19 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Buckeyes put up a whopping 34 rushing touchdowns last season.
- The Scarlet Knights offense yielded 18 sacks last season. Their defense created 16 sacks.
- Buckeyes quarterbacks were sacked 22 times last year. Their defense sacked opposing signal-callers on 44 occasions,
- The Scarlet Knights only converted seven passing touchdowns last season.
- The Buckeyes recorded 39 passing touchdowns last season.
- Ohio State was favored by 39 points in its last matchup and the O/U was 62. The over cashed and Ohio State covered in the team’s 77-31 win over Oregon State.
- Rutgers was favored by 17 points in its last game and the O/U was set at 47.5. The under cashed and Rutgers covered in the 35-7 victory over Texas State.