Both the No. 22 Texas Tech Red Raiders (11-1) and the No. 18 Baylor Bears (10-2) look to extend their five game winning streaks when they face off at United Supermarkets Arena. Texas Tech opened as a 6-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 136.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Baylor Bears vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders ATS Preview
The Bears easily got past the Southern University Jaguars in their last contest, 80-60. With 11 points and eight rebounds, Tristan Clark played well for Baylor. Baylor played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.143 (below their season average of 0.250) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.745 (above their season average of 0.577). For those same stats, Southern University recorded marks of 0.056 and 0.389, respectively.
In the Red Raiders last game, they dismantled the Abilene Christian Wildcats, 74-47. Zhaire Smith had a good outing for Texas Tech, contributing 14 points and five rebounds. Texas Tech played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.347 (above their season average of 0.254) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.551). For those same stats, Abilene Christian was 0.115 and 0.328, respectively.
It might turn into a high-scoring affair as two of the nations best offenses clash. Texas Tech ranks 49th with 114.7 points per 100 possessions and Baylor is 15th (120.3).
Games involving these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Baylor games have finished under 60.0 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of Texas Tech games have finished under. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (10-2 for Baylor; 11-1 for Texas Tech), but the Red Raiders have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Texas Tech is 5-3 ATS, while the Bears are 3-2.
Smith has been on fire over the last five games for Texas Tech, averaging 11.2 points, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last game, the Red Raiders won 84-78. Texas Tech had a much better free throw rate (0.638 vs. 0.283). Baylor, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 29.6).
Baylor Bears vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Baylor, ATS Winner – Baylor, O/U – Under
- The Bears allow the 14th-fewest rebounds per game (30.1) while the Red Raiders rank 42nd (31.8).
- Texas Tech is 3-2 ATS at home, while Baylor is 2-1 ATS on the road.
- The Bears have 2 unders and 1 push in 3 road games.
- The Red Raiders have 3 unders and 2 overs in 5 home games.
- Texas Tech ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (9.4) while Baylor ranks 187th (14.8).
- The Red Raiders rank 12th in steals per game (9.5) while the Bears rank 171st (4.9).
- Texas Tech ranks 11th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Baylor ranks 61st (2.9).
- Texas Tech is 2-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Baylor is 1-0 ATS with 1 over.
- The Red Raiders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 23.6, up from 23.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 97.2 points per game (13.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (4.2 above their season average).