MAC foes will clash when the Akron Zips (11-13, 4-8 MAC) take on the Ball State Cardinals (16-9, 7-5 MAC) at James A. Rhodes Arena. Ball State is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145.5 points. Action starts at 12 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Ball State Cardinals vs. Akron Zips Odds Preview
In the Cardinals last contest, they had no trouble getting past the Kent State Golden Flashes, 87-68. With 20 points and 14 rebounds, Tahjai Teague had a good performance for Ball State. Ball State played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.512). Kent State had marks of 17.1 and 0.483, respectively, for those same stats.
The Zips will look to keep it rolling after beating the Central Michigan Chippewas in their last matchup, 69-63. Akron was lifted by Eric Parrish, who was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Akron played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.193 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.509 (below their season average of 0.519). Central Michigan put up marks of 0.169 and 0.449, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be a difficult game for Akron on the offensive glass. The Zips rank 225th in offensive rebounding percentage (27.7 percent), while Ball State ranks 90th in defensive rebounding percentage (73.4 percent). ,
Of Ball State’s 19 games with betting action, 11 have finished under the projected point total, while 12 of Akron’s 22 games have finished under the projected point total. The Cardinals hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (16-9 vs. 11-13), but the Zips have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (10-12 vs. 8-11).
Trey Moses has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Ball State, averaging 15.0 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 217 points, well over the projected point total of 143. The Cardinals won 111-106, but were unable to cover as 9-point favorites. The Cardinals dominated every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.485 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 27.5. The Zips put up marks of 0.247 and 26.2, respectively, for those same stats. Jimond Ivey scored a game-high 48 points.
Ball State Cardinals vs. Akron Zips ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Ball State, ATS Winner – Ball State, O/U – Under
- The Zips average 5.7 steals per game, which ranks 167th in the NCAA. The Cardinals rank 207th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- Ball State ranks 101st in blocks per game (3.5) while Akron ranks 112th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Ball State is 5-6 ATS on the road, while Akron is 7-4 ATS at home.
- The Cardinals have 6 unders and 5 overs in 11 road games.
- The Zips have 6 unders and 5 overs in 11 home games.
- Akron ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (27.0) while Ball State ranks 191st in three pointers allowed per game (23.0).
- The Cardinals rank 75th in rebounds per game (37.6) while the Zips rank 137th in rebounds allowed per game (34.6).
- Ball State averages 14.7 assists per game, which ranks 100th in the NCAA. Akron ranks 145th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- Akron is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Ball State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Zips average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.8, up from 3.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cardinals have scored an average of 74.6 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (3.5 below their season average).