The Ohio Bobcats (8-6, 1-1 MAC) will attempt to continue a five-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head with the Ball State Cardinals (10-5, 1-1 MAC) at Convocation Center. Ohio opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 152.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Ball State Cardinals vs. Ohio Bobcats Odds Preview
In the Cardinals last matchup, they got blown out by the Buffalo Bulls, 83-63. Ball State’s Trey Moses put up six points and 11 rebounds in the game. Buffalo’s 12.3 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Ball State, who had a mark of 17.0. The Bulls mark was better than their season average of 15.5.
The Bobcats hope to keep it rolling after topping the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last contest, 78-68. Ohio was lifted by Mike Laster, who was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 10-for-12 shooting. The Bobcats made 17 of their 22 free throws (77.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.663 (above their season average of 0.497).
It will be a matchup of conflicting tempos as the up-tempo Bobcats (ranked 17th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Cardinals (142nd in possessions per game).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Ball State have finished under 55.6 percent of the time, while 77.8 percent of Ohio games have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cardinals have a clear advantage. They are 10-5 SU and 5-4 ATS, while the Bobcats are 8-6 SU and 4-4-1 ATS.
Teyvion Kirk has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Ohio, averaging 15.2 points, 8.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Bobcats won the sole contest last season, 79-77. The Bobcats dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.315 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.574. For those same stats, the Cardinals put up marks of 0.281 and 0.535, respectively.
Ball State Cardinals vs. Ohio Bobcats Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ball State, ATS Winner – Ball State, O/U – Over
- The Cardinals rank 68th in blocks per game (4.0) while the Bobcats rank 122nd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Ohio averages 14.0 assists per game, which ranks 125th in the NCAA. Ball State ranks 163rd in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- Ohio is 2-1 ATS at home, while Ball State is 3-2 ATS on the road.
- Of the Cardinals 5 road games, they have 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Bobcats have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 home games.
- Ball State ranks 68th in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while Ohio ranks 231st in three pointers allowed per game (25.7).
- The Cardinals rank 110th in rebounds per game (36.8) while the Bobcats rank 235th in rebounds allowed per game (39.1).
- Ohio ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while Ball State ranks 144th (7.5).
- Ohio is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Ball State is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders.
- The Bobcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cardinals have scored an average of 71.8 points per game (5.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (10.7 below their season average).