Southeast Division foes will clash when the Orlando Magic (17-36) meet the Atlanta Hawks (17-37) at Amway Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Orlando Magic ATS Preview
In the Hawks’ last matchup, they dismantled the Memphis Grizzlies, 108-82. Dennis Schroder was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 9-for-15 shooting. Atlanta dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 13.8) and a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.190). Memphis was 22.8 and 0.127, respectively, for those same stats.
The Magic hope to keep it rolling after blowing out the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last outing, 116-98. Orlando received a boost from Jonathon Simmons, who was the top scorer from either team with 34 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Orlando dominated every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (above their season average of 20.5) and a free throw rate of 0.205 (above their season average of 0.185). For those same stats, Cleveland was 19.1 and 0.167, respectively.
It could be a sloppy game for the Orlando offense. Orlando ranks 17th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.1 percent), while the gambling defense of Atlanta forces the third-most turnovers in the NBA (15.5 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 54 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 29 of Orlando’s 53 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have dreadful straight up (SU) records (17-37 for Atlanta; 17-36 for Orlando), but the Hawks have the edge against the spread (ATS). Atlanta is 28-24-2 ATS, while the Magic are 24-28-1.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Hawks, it’s been Kent Bazemore, who has averaged 16.0 points and 3.2 assists, while the Magic have received great contributions from Mario Hezonja (15.0 points and 1.2 blocks).
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. In the most recent matchup, the Magic lost 117-110, unable to cover as 5.5-point underdogs. Nikola Vucevic notched a triple-double with 31 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists. The two teams combined to put up 227 points, which was 19 points above the projected point total of 208 points. Getting to the free throw line was one of Atlanta’s largest strengths. They made 25 trips to the line, while Orlando went just eight times.
Atlanta Hawks at Orlando Magic Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Magic rank 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while the Hawks rank 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Atlanta ranks 19th in rebounds allowed per game (43.4) while Orlando ranks 28th (45.4).
- Orlando ranks 17th in steals allowed per game (7.9) while Atlanta ranks 26th (8.6).
Orlando averages 12.7 fast break points per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Atlanta ranks 16th in fast break points allowed per game (12.0).
- Orlando is 9-15 ATS at home, while Atlanta is 13-11-2 ATS on the road.
- In 26 road games, the Hawks have 14 unders and 12 overs.
- In 24 home games, the Magic have 15 unders and 9 overs.
- Atlanta is 9-3 when they allow less than 100 points, while Orlando is 8-3.
- When reaching the century mark, the Magic are 17-19 and the Hawks are 15-22.
- The Hawks average 12.7 second chance points per game, which ranks 14th in the league. The Magic rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Orlando ranks seventh in points in the paint per game (47.1) while Atlanta ranks 28th (40.4).
- The Magic average 23.4 assists per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Hawks rank 29th in assists allowed per game (25.7).
- The Magic rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while the Hawks rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Atlanta ranks second in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while Orlando ranks 21st (15.7).
- Orlando is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Magic have outscored opponents by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Orlando has been defeated by an average of 4.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 106.4 points per game (2.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.0 points per game (3.8 below their season average).