The Oklahoma City Thunder (26-19) will be at home in Chesapeake Energy Arena when they challenge the Atlanta Hawks (11-34). The game can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Atlanta Hawks at Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Odds
Both teams covered in their last outing. The Thunder (2.5-point underdogs) defeated the Orlando Magic 120-114, while the Hawks (5-point underdog) beat the Los Angeles Clippers 102-95. The Oklahoma City game finished 23.5 points over the projected point total of 210.5, while the Atlanta game finished 32.5 points under the projected point total of 229.5.
The Hawks, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.7, had a phenomenal mark of 38.3 and had a turnover percentage of 11.8 (better than their season average of 14.2). Meanwhile, Oklahoma City’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Orlando. The Thunder had a rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.228), while the Magic posted a mark of 0.130 (below their season average of 0.192). Oklahoma City received a boost from Dennis Schroder, who put up 31 points and nine assists. John Collins, meanwhile played a key role for Atlanta with 33 points and 16 rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Hawks won 142-126. Atlanta was lights out from beyond the arc (18-37; 48.6 percent). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (31-41; 75.6 percent). This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the total of Hawks games, with 24 overs compared to 21 unders. Atlanta comes into the game with records of 11-34 straight up (SU) and 21-24 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Atlanta, just over half of Thunder games have finished under the O/U total. Additionally, Oklahoma City owns records of 26-19 SU and 29-15-1 ATS.
The Hawks’ Collins has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 17 points,8.2 rebounds,2.2 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has averaged 19 points,10.2 rebounds,6.0 assists,1.4 steals during that same time frame for the Thunder.
The physical Oklahoma City offense could be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this meeting. The Thunder rank third in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.229, while Atlanta ranks 28th in FTA rate allowed (0.230). It will also be a tale of two paces as the up-and-down Hawks rank second in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Thunder rank 23rd.
Atlanta Hawks at Oklahoma City Thunder Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank 11th in rebounds allowed per game (44.4) while the Hawks rank 27th (47.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Atlanta ranks 27th (9.1).
- The Thunder rank first in fast break points allowed per game (10.6) while the Hawks rank 21st (14.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks 10th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.2) while Atlanta ranks 29th (19.9).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (49.9) while Oklahoma City ranks 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (50.0).
- The Thunder rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while the Hawks rank 29th (6.4).
- The Hawks rank eighth in three pointers attempted per game (35.4) while the Thunder rank 25th (30.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (22.6) while Atlanta ranks 20th (24.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks seventh in second chance points allowed per game (12.2) while Atlanta ranks 29th (14.7).
- Atlanta is 4-0 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 7-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Thunder are 25-12 and the Hawks are 11-27.
- Atlanta is 8-15 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma City is 12-10-1 ATS at home.
- Of the Hawks’ 23 road games, they have 14 overs and 9 unders.
- The Thunder have 12 overs and 11 unders in 23 home games.
- In their last five games, Atlanta and Oklahoma City have both had 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hawks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Thunder are 3-2.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 9.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 116.0 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.4 points per game (6.3 above their season average).