The New York Knicks (23-30) will be at home in Madison Square Garden when they go head-to-head against the Atlanta Hawks (15-37). New York opened as a 5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 211.5 points. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 4, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
Atlanta Hawks vs. New York Knicks ATS Preview
In the Hawks last matchup, they lost to the Boston Celtics, 119-110. Taurean Prince had a solid game for Atlanta, leading the team in scoring with 31 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Boston held the Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.3 (below their season average of 22.6). Atlanta, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (31-34; 91.2 percent).
The Knicks are hoping for a better outcome after their 92-90 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks in their last matchup. With 17 points and 18 rebounds, Enes Kanter had a good performance for New York. Milwaukee did a great job of making free throws (19-26; 73.1 percent). New York, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.0 (above their season average of 24.4).
It could be a sloppy game for the New York offense. New York ranks 24th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.9 percent), while the disruptive defense of Atlanta forces the fourth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.4 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 52 games, 26 have finished under the O/U total, while 27 of New York’s 53 games have finished over the O/U total. The Knicks have the better straight up (SU) record (23-30 vs. 15-37) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (28-25 vs. 26-24-2).
Kanter has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New York, averaging 18.6 points and 12.6 rebounds per game.
These two teams have met twice already this year, each winning once. In the most recent matchup, Kristaps Porzingis scored a game-high 30 points and the Knicks topped the Hawks 111-107 but could not cover as 6-point favorites. He also put up eight rebounds. The two teams combined to score 218 points, which was 11.5 points above the projected point total of 206.5 points. New York had a better turnover percentage (11.2 vs. 15.1). Atlanta, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (18.2 vs. 17.1).
Atlanta Hawks at New York Knicks Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks average 23.1 assists per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Hawks rank 29th in assists allowed per game (25.9).
- New York ranks 10th in rebounds per game (44.4) while Atlanta ranks 26th (40.7).
- New York ranks ninth in points in the paint per game (46.6) while Atlanta ranks 27th (40.6).
- Atlanta ranks 22nd in fast break points per game (9.8) while New York ranks 28th (7.4).
- On the road, Atlanta is 12-11-2 ATS with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- New York is 16-9 ATS at home with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- New York is 11-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Atlanta is 7-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Hawks are 14-22 and the Knicks are 22-16.
- The Knicks average 13.6 second chance points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Hawks rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Atlanta averages 18.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the league. New York ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.8).
- The Knicks rank fourth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Hawks rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- The Hawks rank 13th in steals per game (8.0) while the Knicks rank 26th (6.8).
- Atlanta ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while New York ranks last (21.8).
- New York is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (4.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.4 points per game (9.9 above their season average).