The Atlanta Hawks (10-29) can put an end to a nine-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Los Angeles Clippers (17-21) at Staples Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 212.5 points with Los Angeles opening as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Atlanta Hawks at Los Angeles Clippers ATS Preview
The Hawks lost big to the Los Angeles Lakers in their last contest, 132-113. With 27 points on 10-for-23 shooting, Dennis Schroder was the top scorer from either team. Los Angeles made 16 of their 36 three pointers (44.4 percent). Atlanta, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 15.7).
The last time the Clippers played, they were blown out by the Golden State Warriors, 121-105. With 15 points and 11 rebounds, DeAndre Jordan had a good performance for Los Angeles. Golden State won the rebounding battle. The Warriors had more offensive rebounds (16 vs. 10), defensive rebounds (40 vs. 35) and total rebounds (56 vs. 45).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Los Angeles. Los Angeles ranks 18th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.3 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Atlanta forces the most turnovers in the league (16.2 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 38 games with betting action, 19 have finished under the O/U total, while 20 of Los Angeles 38 games have finished over the O/U total. The Clippers have the better straight up (SU) record (17-21 vs. 10-29), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Los Angeles is 20-17-1, while Atlanta is 20-16-2 ATS.
Lou Williams has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 28.6 points and 6.0 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 219 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 209.5. The Clippers won 116-103, covering as 2.5-point favorites. Los Angeles’ effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Atlanta. The Clippers had a rate of 0.678 while the Hawks posted a mark of 0.542. Blake Griffin put up a triple-double in the victory, with 26 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Los Angeles Clippers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Clippers, O/U – Under
- The Hawks average 8.5 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Clippers rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.4) while Atlanta ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (31.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 13th in blocks per game (4.8) while Atlanta ranks 26th (4.1).
- Atlanta ranks 19th in fast break points allowed per game (12.2) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (14.2).
- On the road, Atlanta is 10-8-2 ATS with 12 unders and 8 overs.
- Los Angeles is 10-9 ATS at home with 11 overs, 7 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Atlanta is 3-3 and Los Angeles is 10-2.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Hawks are 10-16 and the Clippers are 15-14.
- The Clippers rank 15th in rebounds per game (43.5) while the Hawks rank 28th (40.0).
- Los Angeles averages 14.5 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- The Hawks rank fourth in assists per game (23.7) while the Clippers rank 24th (21.0).
- The Hawks average 18.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Clippers rank 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.0).
- Los Angeles ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (47.5) while Atlanta ranks 25th (41.0).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Clippers have outscored opponents by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Los Angeles has been defeated by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (0.7 above their season average).