The Boston Celtics (37-15), the leagues top shooting defense, will meet the Atlanta Hawks (15-36) at TD Garden. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Boston Celtics Betting Preview
The Hawks lost to the Charlotte Hornets in their last outing, 123-110. With 25 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Kent Bazemore was Atlanta’s leading scorer. Charlotte had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 22.9). Atlanta, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (20-22; 90.9 percent).
In the Celtics last matchup, they dismantled the New York Knicks, 103-73. Boston’s Terry Rozier played a massive role in the victory, accumulating 17 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists on his way to his zeroth triple-double of the season. The Celtics held the Knicks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.339 (below their season average of 0.519) and had a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 12.5).
Boston appears to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Celtics currently rank first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.483), while Atlanta is 17th in effective field goal percentage (0.516).
Of Atlanta’s 51 games, 26 have finished under the O/U total, while 27 of Boston’s 52 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 37-15 SU and 31-19-2 ATS, while the Hawks are 15-36 SU and 26-23-2 ATS.
Marcus Morris has been superb over the last five games for Boston, averaging 13.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Celtics winning both. In the most recent contest, Kyrie Irving scored a game-high 30 points and the Celtics beat the Hawks 110-99, covering as 6-point favorites. He also had five assists. The two teams combined to score 209 points, which was 6 points above the projected point total of 203 points. The Celtics offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Hawks. Boston had a rate of 23.7, while Atlanta posted a mark of 15.8.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Boston Celtics Odds Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (4.3) while the Hawks rank 25th (5.3).
- Boston ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.6) while Atlanta ranks 18th (12.1).
- Boston ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.7) while Atlanta ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- Atlanta is 27th in the NBA with 40.7 points in the paint per game while Boston is 28th with 39.2 points in the paint per game.
- Boston is 14-11-2 ATS at home, while Atlanta is 12-10-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Celtics 27 home games, while 13 of the Hawks 24 road games have gone under.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Boston is 25-2 and Atlanta is 7-3.
- The Celtics are 27-7 when they score above 100 points, while the Hawks are 14-21.
- The Celtics rank 10th in rebounds per game (44.4) while the Hawks rank 26th (40.8).
- Atlanta ranks first in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while Boston ranks 28th (14.3).
- The Celtics rank third in assists allowed per game (20.2) while the Hawks rank 29th (25.9).
- The Celtics rank 21st in second chance points per game (11.4) while the Hawks rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Boston ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Atlanta ranks 27th (8.6).
- Boston is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 4.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.2 points per game (7.9 above their season average).