The Atlanta Hawks (10-27) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they take on the Portland Trail Blazers (19-18) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208 points with Portland opening as a 7-point favorite. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Preview
The Hawks lost a tough one against the Phoenix Suns in their last contest, 104-103. Ersan Ilyasova put together a good performance for Atlanta, leading the team in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Phoenix had an effective field goal percentage of 0.552 (above their season average of 0.494). Atlanta, meanwhile, forced the Suns into a turnover percentage of 19.2 (above their season average of 13.3).
The last time the Trail Blazers played, they were defeated by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 127-110. With 23 points and seven rebounds, Jusuf Nurkic had a good performance for Portland. Cleveland did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (28-37; 75.7 percent). Portland, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9 (above their season average of 22.8).
It could be a sloppy game for the Portland offense. Portland ranks 14th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.1 percent), while the disruptive defense of Atlanta forces the most turnovers in the NBA (16.2 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 37 games, 18 have finished over the O/U total, while 25 of Portland’s 37 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trail Blazers have the better straight up (SU) record (19-18 vs. 10-27), but the Hawks hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (20-15-2 vs. 17-17-3).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 193 points, which was under the projected point total of 203.5. The Hawks won 104-89, covering as 2-point underdogs. Atlanta had a much better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 18.1). Portland, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (31.9 vs. 29.5). Shabazz Napier had a standout performance in the game, putting up 21 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
Atlanta Hawks at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Hawks rank 24th (4.1).
- Portland ranks eighth in rebounds per game (45.0) while Atlanta ranks 27th (40.1).
- Atlanta ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while Portland ranks 26th (14.6).
- Atlanta ranks 24th in points in the paint per game (41.2) while Portland ranks 25th (40.9).
- Atlanta is 10-7-2 ATS on the road, while Portland is 5-11-2 ATS at home.
- The Hawks have 11 unders and 8 overs in 19 road games.
- Of the Trail Blazers 18 home games, they have 13 unders and 5 overs.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Atlanta is 3-3 and Portland is 13-4.
- The Trail Blazers are 14-8 when they score over 100 points, while the Hawks are 10-15.
- The Trail Blazers rank ninth in second chance points allowed per game (11.7) while the Hawks rank 28th (14.3).
- Portland ranks first in assists allowed per game (19.4) while Atlanta ranks 29th (25.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.5) while the Hawks rank 26th (31.1).
- The Hawks rank 22nd in fast break points per game (9.5) while the Trail Blazers rank last (5.5).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in steals per game (8.6) while Portland ranks 26th (6.6).
- Portland is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 0.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 106.0 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.0 points per game (5.9 below their season average).