The Atlanta Hawks (10-26) will attempt to end a six-game road losing streak when they take on the Phoenix Suns (14-24) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. Phoenix is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218.5 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Atlanta Hawks at Phoenix Suns Betting Preview
In the Hawks last game, they beat the Portland Trail Blazers, 104-89. Dennis Schroder was the games high scorer with 22 points on 9-for-17 shooting. The Hawks forced 20 turnovers and held the Trail Blazers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.465 (below the 0.543 mark opponents have averaged against Atlanta this season).
The Suns are trying to rebound after their 123-110 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last contest. Devin Booker was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 8-for-22 shooting. Philadelphia had an effective field goal percentage of 0.623 (above their season average of 0.519). Phoenix, meanwhile, forced the 76ers into a turnover percentage of 18.6 (above their season average of 15.2).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Phoenix. Phoenix ranks 22nd in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the gambling defense of Atlanta forces the second-most turnovers in the league (16.0 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 36 games, 18 have finished over the projected point total, while 20 of Phoenix’s 38 games have finished over the O/U total. The Suns have the better straight up (SU) record (14-24 vs. 10-26), but the Hawks hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (20-15-1 vs. 19-18-1).
T.J. Warren has been on fire over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 23.2 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hawks won the last matchup 95-91. Atlanta did a great job of getting and making free throws (21-29; 72.4 percent). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.3 vs. 16.3).
Atlanta Hawks at Phoenix Suns Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Suns rank sixth in rebounds per game (45.3) while the Hawks rank 27th (40.1).
- Atlanta ranks 16th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.5) while Phoenix ranks 28th (48.5).
- Atlanta ranks eighth in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while Phoenix ranks 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.6).
- Phoenix averages 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Atlanta ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- On the road, Atlanta is 10-7-1 ATS with 10 unders and 8 overs.
- Phoenix is 8-12 ATS at home with 10 overs, 9 unders and 1 push.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Atlanta is 3-3.
- The Hawks are 10-14 when they score over 100 points, while the Suns are 10-15.
- The Suns rank 11th in three pointers allowed per game (27.3) while the Hawks rank 28th (31.3).
- Atlanta ranks fourth in assists per game (24.2) while Phoenix ranks 29th (20.4).
- The Suns average 13.8 second chance points per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Hawks rank last in second chance points allowed per game (14.4).
- The Suns rank eighth in fast break points per game (13.4) while the Hawks rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (11.2).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in steals per game (8.6) while Phoenix ranks 27th (6.6).
- Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 6.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (4.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (2.8 below their season average).